MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered mine! :)

Toyota won't sell it to you directly anymore, but you can still order it through their third party vendor. :)

http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=407&p=173&g=21

I called their 800 number, placed the order for part# 09082-00760. It costs 10.67 and will ship September 22nd, since it's on back order.

So, now the later airbag will plug right up with the earlier harness.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Nice find! I'm surprised they're so cheap. Lotsa stuff on that site is insanely pricey. Another idea suggested to me by my mechanic was to remove the wires from the new airbag connector and put them into the old one's connector. You'd need have the right tools to remove the old pins and crimp on new ones on, though.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Bomber said:
Nice find! I'm surprised they're so cheap. Lotsa stuff on that site is insanely pricey. Another idea suggested to me by my mechanic was to remove the wires from the new airbag connector and put them into the old one's connector. You'd need have the right tools to remove the old pins and crimp on new ones on, though.
There's quite a few options outside of this harness adapter. My reason for wanting to go this route is for easy transferability. Should I sell the car or want to go back to the 94 wheel, it's simple and quick.

·
Registered
768 Posts
nbvolks said:
I just ordered mine! :)

Toyota won't sell it to you directly anymore, but you can still order it through their third party vendor. :)

http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=407&p=173&g=21

I called their 800 number, placed the order for part# 09082-00760. It costs 10.67 and will ship September 22nd, since it's on back order.

So, now the later airbag will plug right up with the earlier harness.
I'm assuming you're calling the 800 number on the order page?

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Another idea suggested to me by my mechanic was to remove the wires from the new airbag connector and put them into the old one's connector. You'd need have the right tools to remove the old pins and crimp on new ones on, though.
Yep done that on my friends 94T when he put the Corolla S wheel on.

NICE FIND! Glad to know you can find them now, may have to let my friend know this. Last Toyota said was NO to selling it anymore. I think me & you had this conversation before. So, very cool that you found this. I think it is an AWESOME upgrade to put a low pressure air bag on.

Daniel :thumbup

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
M1ke said:
quick question. If I wanted to put on a corolla s/ trd/ spyder/ etc steering wheel, do you use the stock spiral cable (yellow circle thing) or no? My car came with an aftermarket hub and wheel so I don't have the spiral cable.
When I put a Corolla S wheel on a friends 94T we DID use the spiral cable.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
It says "deployment wire". Anyway, this will just bolt on to 98 airbag and the stock spiral 91-95 cable?

If you transfer the spiral cable from the donor airbag( 98+) to early Mr2, will this work also?

Nbvolks, thanks for the info. I assumed that you already confirmed it work. :thumbup

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
toymr1 said:
It says "deployment wire". Anyway, this will just bolt on to 98 airbag and the stock spiral 91-95 cable?
Yes, it acts as an adapter between the 98+ style connector and the older connector coming from the spiral.

toymr1 said:
If you transfer the spiral cable from the donor airbag( 98+) to early Mr2, will this work also?
I wondered about this as well. It might be possible, but I have no idea if the connection into the spiral is unchanged from older to newer. I figure the fewer things that need to be changed out, the better.

toymr1 said:
Nbvolks, thanks for the info. I assumed that you already confirmed it work. :thumbup
Mine should be shipping out today. Once it arrives you can rest assured that I'll be spending that evening in the garage installing it and playing the drums to get it all working again. I'll take some pics in the process as well.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
nbvolks said:
Now my order has been delayed until 10/21 "or sooner", after it had been bumped up to 10/9. Argh....
I wonder if they are able to get this item anymore, lots of uncertainties. I called them and I was told November.

There still a Toyota dealer that has this item in stock, which I emailed you the info, but they asking $27 shipped. This might be the last resort.

I am very excited to see this happened. You will be the first to make it work :thumbup

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
toymr1 said:
I wonder if they are able to get this item anymore, lots of uncertainties. I called them and I was told November.

There still a Toyota dealer that has this item in stock, which I emailed you the info, but they asking $27 shipped. This might be the last resort.

I am very excited to see this happened. You will be the first to make it work :thumbup
Well, needless to say, I'm a bit irritated by the constant delays. I get that they're just waiting for their source to ship them some, but come on! It's two pieces of plastic and some wires, how long can this possibly take to pump out?

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It finally shipped!!! It went out monday and UPS shows a delivery date of Friday! Just in time for a weekend install, with pictures and write up. Though I'm guessing it will be very straight forward.

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
nbvolks said:
It finally shipped!!! It went out monday and UPS shows a delivery date of Friday! Just in time for a weekend install, with pictures and write up. Though I'm guessing it will be very straight forward.
WOOT! :banana

Can't wait to see how this works out for you. Oh, & this bets the crap out of playing the drums to turn off the Air Bag light in the instrument cluster...
http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/airbagtool.htm

Seems like no matter what I did, I would get an Air Bag light to come on & a code of "no problem" when doing this mod, then I would have to play the drums to reset the light. Then I found this little gem & life was much easier.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
when i did my swap I had an airbag from a rav4 and I just used the connector that came on the clockspring for it. There where two wires...both blue and yellow so it was easy to match up the wires. I used environmental splices to splice them together. I also got the mr2 cruise control to fit in the 03 corrolla wheel I had by clipping the back plastic clip.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mr2boost said:
WOOT! :banana

Can't wait to see how this works out for you. Oh, & this bets the crap out of playing the drums to turn off the Air Bag light in the instrument cluster...
http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/airbagtool.htm

Seems like no matter what I did, I would get an Air Bag light to come on & a code of "no problem" when doing this mod, then I would have to play the drums to reset the light. Then I found this little gem & life was much easier.

I've only ever had to play the drums, twice and I saw this, or a similar write-up. I just did it with two wires and was able to get it done the first time both times. Of course now that I just said that, watch, I'll have a hell of a time doing it this time around. hehe... But yeah, when I did it in the past, it would have taken me longer to build that tool than to just play the drums.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dobosininja said:
when i did my swap I had an airbag from a rav4 and I just used the connector that came on the clockspring for it. There where two wires...both blue and yellow so it was easy to match up the wires. I used environmental splices to splice them together. I also got the mr2 cruise control to fit in the 03 corrolla wheel I had by clipping the back plastic clip.
I did the same thing for my CC stalk and it works great. I may eventually still get the correct stalk just to be exact, but only if one comes my way.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts