MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I scored a pair of Corbeau CR1's on my local craigslist for 100 bucks each, and I figured I would share my impressions of them.

Pros: Pretty comfortable overall.
Good side and shoulder bolster support, they definitely hold you in place well.
Replacement covers are available starting at about 120 bucks each, and other spare parts are available as well direct from Corbeau.

Cons: Sits WAY too high unless you modify them. I mounted mine on modified stock rails which as far as I can tell is about the lowest form of slider / bracket you can get, and they were (I estimate) 2-3" higher than stock. After all the modifications, they are a bit less comfortable than they were before.

NO head rest (its way too far back to be of any use)

Awfully flexible.

Cheaply made. Most of the welds on the frame look like they did the absolute minimum possible. Now, my seats were older ones, and the new covers I got seem to be of better quality than the ones I took off, so maybe they have improved their quality over the years, I don't know for sure.

Bottom line: Won't work for most people in a MKII without modification (see this thread for details on how I improved them) .

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good review! I picked some up for super cheap on Craigslist a few weeks ago... I wasnt able to find any real reviews at the time. I have not installed them yet, but I have sat in them and they do not seem flexible or flimsy at all. As you said, they may have revised/improved them over time. The ones I bought were brand new.

Did you use any aftermarket bracket/sliders prior to modifying the stock ones? I've seen other people use the CR1 and the A4 with corbeau brackets/sliders or with a setup from wedge. Other members stated it sat a "little" higher than stock... I ordered the corbeau sliders/brackets and they should be here tm. I will try to test fit one and post my results in here if that's ok.

Do you have any installed pictures?

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
myslow1 said:
Good review! I picked some up for super cheap on Craigslist a few weeks ago... I wasnt able to find any real reviews at the time. I have not installed them yet, but I have sat in them and they do not seem flexible or flimsy at all. As you said, they may have revised/improved them over time. The ones I bought were brand new.

Did you use any aftermarket bracket/sliders prior to modifying the stock ones? I've seen other people use the CR1 and the A4 with corbeau brackets/sliders or with a setup from wedge. Other members stated it sat a "little" higher than stock... I ordered the corbeau sliders/brackets and they should be here tm. I will try to test fit one and post my results in here if that's ok.

Do you have any installed pictures?
You won't really notice the flex when they are sitting on the floor, but once they are bolted down to the car, if you push hard on the brake for example, you can feel the seat flex. I can't say at this point if it is worse than the stock seats... but it is noticeable. I will say, I don't have any experience with other aftermarket seats to say if these are any worse than a more expensive seat.

I guess weather it's "a little" or "a lot" higher than stocks depends a lot on your height, and if you regularly wear a helmet in the car. I am 6'1", and do a lot of autocross and track days, so every 1/4" counts when it comes to helmet clearance. Someone who is 5'10" may have no issues with the height and might only find them to sit "a little" higher than stock. If it doesn't cause a problem you might not notice as much...

By all means, post here. Lets keep as much info as possible in one place and easy to find.

I will try to get some installed pictures posted.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Interesting..I was considering CR1s or A4s, but I may reconsider if they sit that high and flex under much pressure - any thoughts for side mount seats? I'd like to get about an inch of additional headroom.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I really liked my FX1 pro and bride type fg side mount, sat 1" lower than stock and is really comfortable. Its a fixed back seat though but I was able to get ttops in and out without moving the seat forward or sliding it forward.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Levi said:
I really liked my FX1 pro and bride type fg side mount, sat 1" lower than stock and is really comfortable. Its a fixed back seat though but I was able to get ttops in and out without moving the seat forward or sliding it forward.
Oh really? Hmmm. That was my main reason for wanting reclining seats..to fit t-tops.

·
Registered
609 Posts
edit: They most definitely sit higher than stock. I used the brackets/sliders from Corbeau. I had planned on ordering from wedge, but (according to them) the Corbea bracket is identical to theirs and they would source Corbeaus sliders unless I wanted to purchase Recaro ones.

After measuring before vs. after...... The Corbeau sits about 1.25" higher than my stock seat did. There is still plenty of headroom.. However, I doubt you would be able fit with a helmet. I dont plan on tracking my car so this is not an issue for me (would be for others.) You can get that 1.25" back if you recline the seat, but I'm not 2pac so that is not an option. I would probably be comfortable in a fixed back as I sit fairly upright in my seat.

As far as them being flimsy or flexible. Mine are not..? I dont know if this has to do with older CR1 design vs newer CR1 design or what. I do not weigh a lot so that would also have to do with it. I weight around 160..

Hopefully this is helpful. OP used modified OEM brackets/sliders and I used Corbeau. Both sit higher than stock.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just wanted to update. I decided not to do anything to the OEM rail or floor. I ended up contacting Corbeau and asked them about the issue. They suggested shaving some of the foam. Apparently this service is offered by Corbeau... They state you can shave 1" off of the seat base without sacrificing comfort. the guy said he has seen people shave more, but Corbeau only advises 1" (understandable)

I pulled the hog rings off the bottom of each seat (only 3 per seat need to be removed) and looked over the pad thickness along the entire seat bottom. I had the intentions of removing right about 1" but it ended up being closer to 1.5"... I dont think they are any less comfortable with some of the material removed. Will find out when I actually drive the car this summer.

I reinstalled the seat WITHOUT the slider and it sits quite a bit lower than my OEM seat. I may try with the slider, but the seat positioning without the slider installed is perfect for me. I have not completely mounted the seat so my mind may change when I actually bolt it down and struggle getting the rears. Looks like it might be a pain...

Anyway... My head clearance to the t-top with the cushion shaved and no slider is about 4.5" which is huge.

Just wanted to update. :)

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Per side its $200 for the bride bracket+sliders (they are integrated into one) its $150 for the wedge+universal sliders. =/ seating position is something can make or break how fun a car is to drive.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If the CR1 is mounted directly to the bracket without slider, can it be positioned at the furthest back setting (ie. against the back firewall)? Where does it sit in terms of the forward/backward sliding range?

I'm 6'2" and have an inch of headroom on my stock seats...I can get in with a helmet but have to slouch down to stay clear.

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends on what brackets you use. And I don't know if there is any option to vary the position on the bracket without sliders, you would probably have to do something custom to do that. And THEN you might have issues bolting the seat down, since at it's furthest back position the seat covers the rear bolts. You have to use the sliders to get the bolts installed.

For what it's worth, I sold my CR1's late last year and picked up a set of FX1 Pro fixed back seats to replace them. I built another set of brackets based on stock seat sliders, side mount this time, and between the new brackets and the thinner base on the seat I am significantly lower.

At 6'2", I think you are going to have a hard time making the CR1's work. Best bet if you are willing to eliminate the sliders is a side mount seat, and then bolt the side mounts directly to the floor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts