MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
There is 1 coolant temp sensor. The coolant temp sensor is an input to the ECU and one of the determinants of A/F ratio.

There is also a coolant temp sender] that drives the gauge in the instrument panel. It has nothing to do with setting any engine parameters.

bill

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
theres at least two coolant sensors... one in the coolant pipe in the engine compartment and one in the radiator for the cooling fans. and like bill said theres also a sender in the coolant pipe.

i think there actually might be one more in the coolant pipe... there's so many sensors in that one pipe that its really confusing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think my "coolant temp sensor" might be bad. Would that also be referred to as the "thermostat". I had posted a thread earlier saying that my guage works fine, but every now and then when I idle my heating blows cold air.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah the thermostat is on the opposite side of the temp. sensors.

its right by the AC pulley, inside where the water hose connects to.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
The thermostat is basically a water valve -it regulates the temperature of the engine itself. Senders and sensors send an electrical signal to guages or other electronic devices, like the ecu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts