MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’ve been keeping an eye out for a super-clean, stock 1st gen. A high-mile (200k!), rust-free supercharged car came up for sale near me recently, so I’m on here doing my research!

At the risk of asking before I’ve done a thorough search, the car had what almost sounded like valve tap if I blipped the throttle at low rpms. No tapping/knocking at idle, at any rpm with a slower run-up, etc, just at the very first blip. The car ran great, accelerated smoothly, etc.

Any chance this is something I need to investigate more deeply before purchasing? If there is an issue, how pricey is it to refurbish or source a new major engine component group (rebuild the valve train, new shortblock, etc)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mr2's use a flat shim to adjust valve lash. With 200K on the car I would suspect that there is some wear there. It isn't rocket science to adjust the lash and if you search Mr2 BGB the instructions are out there. I had it done on my Mk2 NA with around 80K on it but never really noticed much of a difference. being from the north my only concern with an 1988 would be rust around the rear fenders and floorboards since body panels are really tough to get

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So did you end up making the jump into the MR2 world?
I did! Made the purchase last weekend and learned after the purchase that it was a one-owner car w/ maint. records dating back to the original bill of sale. Crazy.

Anyway, still sorting out the reg so I can drive it, and taking it in Monday for a once-over. Can’t wait to have it on the road!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts