MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have had my SC swap up and running for about 6 months, and i have kinda just been saving and waiting to get the 175mm Nevo pulley, but after doing a lot of searching and reading, i am having some concerns...mainly i have been running across a lot of people having trouble the the tensioner pulley, or the bearing involved with the tensioner pulley?? is that right?? either way thats is what i gathered...correct me if i am wrong...but either way i was wondering if that was common...and how big of a problem that it is? let me know thanks.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I don't think it's too common. NST had a small issue with their idlers seperating from the bearings but they gladly replaced defective units and I have not heard of any trouble with them since. I have read a few posts about bearing trouble with Nevo kits, but they were old posts that I found while searching for other stuff, and like NST, I haven't heard of any recent failures.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah cuz i read them in some posts from like June 05...so they were kinda old...is it because the bearing is bad to begin with or does it wear out fast?? i seem to always look at the worst case scenario for some reason...i am sure the # of pulleys that have this problem is far outnumbered by those that are perfectly fine. i just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I would imagine early bearing failure is a complete coincidence or a manufacturing defect. Now if you splash a bunch of dirty water up into your engine bay and the bearing fails, that's one thing. But for a bearing to just go bad isn't very likely. However I'm no bearing expert, this is just what seems to make sense.

Small dirt particles and any solution that can dry out or dissolve the bearing grease are a bearing's worst enemy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Personally, I think the tensioner pulley failure is fairly common, I go through at least one per year with my CUSCO pulley.

Keep in mind that the large crank pulley is now spinning the tensioner pulley (and waterpump) at substantially higher rpm's than the stock setup would.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Juiced N Blown said:
I have never had a problem with my nevo and it's been 4 years.
I went through two Nevo's, and two CUSCO idler pullies, belt tension was set with a strain guage to spec. I've heard of many other SC users with large pulleys having similar idler pulley life spans....

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
With my Cusco setup I have been through a few in the 3+ years running it. Mostly from me overtightening the belt early on.

It is easy to over tension the belt if you are not using a belt gage. I now leave it a little loose initially and let it squeal/slip near redline, then tighten little by little until that goes away, leaving just enough tension to keep things from slipping. The last bearing I used has gone more than a year and half with no problems.

Also, with the cusco idler, you can just remove the bearing retaining clip, then press the old bearing out. I found an industrial supply house that could match the part number and buy the bearing for around $8 (IIRC). Cheap fix and does not take that long to change even if it does go bad once a year.

EDIT: If you ever order the bearing, get the highest load/speed rating available (which is normally dictated by the type of grease it has in it).

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
NickBrewer said:
Keep in mind that the large crank pulley is now spinning the tensioner pulley (and waterpump) at substantially higher rpm's than the stock setup would.
This (along with concerns of lack of harmonic balancers) is why I'm reluctant to try an aftermarket crank pulley. I am surprised it's not more common to alter the size of the SC pulley. Does changing the SC pulley introduce other problems I'm not aware of? It would seem to be a much simpler solution to me. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
SC pulley has the clutch. So it's easier to make a larger crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am definitely still on the fence about getting the crank pulley just after searching around lately here...it seems to be hit or miss almost and that makes me nervous as my car is my daily driver i would hate to have to worry about it having to be sildelined for a while...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
After weighing the stock SC pulley I hate the idea of having all that weight on the crank

The stock SC pulley was over 5lbs (maxed out the 5 lb scale at work)

Then someone posted some PICs of different SC pulleys and that NST one looked like a flywheel

Not saying I am against the bigger pulley stuff but I sure want to look into a smaller SC pulley

I am thinking it has an AC clutch setup on the front so you would just need another magnetic clutch (from an AC compressor) then get NST to make some smaller SC pulleys

Just thinking out loud
Davegt27

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
davegt27 said:
After weighing the stock SC pulley I hate the idea of having all that weight on the crank

The stock SC pulley was over 5lbs (maxed out the 5 lb scale at work)

Then someone posted some PICs of different SC pulleys and that NST one looked like a flywheel

Not saying I am against the bigger pulley stuff but I sure want to look into a smaller SC pulley

I am thinking it has an AC clutch setup on the front so you would just need another magnetic clutch (from an AC compressor) then get NST to make some smaller SC pulleys

Just thinking out loud
Davegt27
That would be cool.....;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.