MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the title explains it. I beleave I have lost compression in 3 cylinders. When I had the tranny off I went to turn the fly wheel and it turned with ease till it got to cylinder #4 then it was very hard.. also the car feel like it has no power so I am going to test the compression this weekend and what does it intail to fix the compression. just so I know what I'm in for...

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Don't assume anything until you have done a PROPER compression check by the book. If you do have poor compression numbers it could be any number of things. First, lets get some readings.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the book and will be testing the compression this weekend. but if it is the compression whats intailed...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Could be rings, head gasket, valves seals, valves, number of things, none of them much fun. But like was said, don't assume anything until you check compression.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
It's also remotely possible that one of the cams has jumped out of time. Before you go to tearing everything apart, check the cam timing. I have seen more than one instance where the cam belt was not tensioned properly and has slipped - most usually on the intake cam or the crank.

Valve stem seals don't affect compression, FWIW - just oil consumption. Rings, valves, and HG will all affect it, though. Any of these requires from 4 to 24 hours labor (by someone who knows what they are doing - more if not) and from $150 to $900 in parts and outside labor.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Follow ITA's instruction first. Then remove all four spark plugs. Screw in the compression gauge in one cylinder. Hopefully it has a relief valve so you can climb in the driver's seat, mash the go pedal to the floor, and turn the key to the start position. After its run through a half-dozen compression strokes, climb out, read gauge, record number, relieve pressure and screw it in another cylinder. Repeat for all spark-plug holes. Then start another thread about what they mean. (Or continue on this one.)

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
^^^^^

Lots easier if you have a helper, but not necessary. that way, you don't have to do all the running and jumping. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts