MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pisces Power!!
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months back I was doing a valve shim adjustment because I was getting some valve ticking...oddly enough, all 4 shims on #3 were out of spec ( how coincidental is that?!) and a couple were close so anyway I replaced 6 or 7 total. While waiting for Toyota to get them in(yeah they don't stock shims? wtf!), I did a cold compression check just for the hell of it...

#1 - 190
#2 - 180
#3 - 150
#4 - 180

I was very concerned for #3, added oil and checked again and it came up, so I was thinking bad ringlands and bore wear right? Well, I just did a warm check today and...

#1 - 165
#2 - 165
#3 - 165
#4 - 180

I was very happy to see more consistancy (esp on #3) and hopefully #4 is just a little carbon ( I'm adding WI shortly) but why the drastic difference? I thought the difference between hot and cold checks were minimal? Anybody know what happened here? Thanks!

Norm

G

·
NoSirItsAToyota said:
Your kidding right?
Yes I'm kidding. The second one looks good, but the first one on #3 is low. Are you leaking any oil from the intake. There is a pipe with a hose that connects to the intake. Check to see if you have any oil in your intake.

My motor just went I have like 120 in the number 3 cynliner and 180, 175, 170. I had oil going into my intake from that pipe after my #3 went boom!!

·
Pisces Power!!
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
turbonatormr2 said:
Yes I'm kidding. The second one looks good, but the first one on #3 is low. Are you leaking any oil from the intake. There is a pipe with a hose that connects to the intake.
Are you refering to the pcv return? No, there's no oil in my intake, except the normal blowby oil residue that you would find inside the ic>tb pipe and couplers.

So anyone know why such a difference? Could those worn shims have caused the low compression originally?

Norm

G

·
normr2 said:
Are you refering to the pcv return? No, there's no oil in my intake, except the normal blowby oil residue that you would find inside the ic>tb pipe and couplers.

So anyone know why such a difference? Could those worn shims have caused the low compression originally?

Norm
Yes I' am refering to pcv return. If theres allot of oil going through there then one or more cylinders are gone... If its only the normal blowby oil then you are fine. Unfortunatly I was not as lucky as you..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts