MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a subaru freak for the last 4 years now. I mean, my friends rag on me for my indepth knoweldge i spew...or when i show another owner some appreciation.

I was looking through an old mag(SCC with 3 wrx turners take on sti). ANyways, i spot the mr2 article. Read it for the first time the other day. Was completely taken. The mr2(all 3) are sexy cars. I especially am in a highschool crush with the mkII. I love the mid engine lay out, the interior, the engine, the reliablity(from what i hear) and the overall package. Dont get me wrong, i love my AWD, especially when the white stuff comes around. But, for some reaosn i am drawn to the mr2. Its been on my mind that last few days and i feel bad for possibly wanting something rwd since i always brag to ppl i know(FWD kids who talk out of their posteriors) about my awd. I live in south jersey and after that last snowfall, i had a blast and was one of few cars out on thr roads and not in a ditch or crashed into a pole.

But what i guess i am trying to say is that i would like to know if it is possible to get arouund with the mr2 in bad weather and not put myself in serious danger. I am a competent driver yet i have almost zero experince with rwd let alone a mid engine. i also am starting to get into the autox scene and want some opinions on the potential of the mr2. I have already done some searching and alot of reading on here. It seems that it is a fun car to drive, but one must posses some skill and awareness.

And thirdly, i'd like to just say hi to this community. Its seems like a really nice place without a lot of flame wars or petty crap. Much like the site i am coming from www.rs25.com.

I will be spending some time around here until i can make up my mind. I apologize in advance for my newness to the car and this board and i hope to learn a lot about what appears to be a truely amazing gem that not to omany know about.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Welcome!! That is very true, you will not find foul language or flaming here. We try and keep it adult conversation and if it doesnt stay that way, the moderators make sure it does. So its a good place to be. I have driven MR2's before in the snow and since the weight is in the rear, you actually have decent traction. The problem with them is that when you lose control, its all over. So it does take skill to drive them and learning how to not get snap oversteer. When I drove in the snow I was only going 30-40mph though, but I never lost control. As long as you are a good driver and make good choices it can do fairly well in the snow. Tires have alot to do with it too. I had Performance 235/40/17 tires with less than 50% in the back HAHA and still did OK. I would suggest doing alot of learning the car and taking it to its limits to learn it before I would drive one in the snow.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like the look of the 1 too, but the 2's make me all warm and fuzzy. I am going to be paitent andlook for a good deal. I have a solid car(i <3 subarus) and if one doesnt show up, i have an engine swapped lined up for my current car(awd+2.0turbo=:D)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Bill, the man obviously has taste. Let him go. And I'll be happy to race you in June ;P I should be easily in the 12's which is not fast but Im always up for some good fun.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
How, 'bout a trifecta - best 1/4 time, added to best lap time, added to best autox time, - low total divided by weight:RWHP wins?? ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
sayn3ver said:
i like the look of the 1 too, but the 2's make me all warm and fuzzy. I am going to be paitent andlook for a good deal. I have a solid car(i <3 subarus) and if one doesnt show up, i have an engine swapped lined up for my current car(awd+2.0turbo=:D)
-If anything you could get one for daily drive and elevate ur scooby to "weekend warrior" status. I've always liked the subaru cars, small, efficient, and practical...much like the japanese...hrmmm.... ;)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Welcome to the board. You won't regret getting an MR2, no matter which Mark you get. (I'd go for the MKI thought). I see you came from rs25, I do work for James who runs that board every once in a while. Glad to see the cross traffic.

-rick

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
james is a pretty cool character. I was recommended to this site b/c of the great reputation it has. And the fact that there are quite a few mr2 owners who also drive subarus or atleast owned mr2's before switching and said this board was a really good place if i was interested in getting a 2.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
It is indeed. I'd say the best place for MR2 info and support. My brother drives an '03 WRX and he's the one that got me into the scooby community and introduced me to james. He runs a pretty good operation over there.

Anyhow Back on topic. Get yourself a MR2 you wont be disapointed. And there's a great "cars for sale" section here too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The [email protected] takes a lot of practice in the snow. I live in Salt Lake City so i see my share of it. Keep it slow and straight and you'll be good to go. Turns are another story. Since it's rear wheel drive, you don't have much control over the front end if you loose control. Just do like i do and steer into the nearest parking meter for some stopping power! :) If you're lucky the ground will be moist and it will just come out of the ground pretty easily!

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
honestly i'd be more confident in a subaru in snow, but then i don't even know what snow looks like :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just bought my MK1 a few months ago after three years in a Subie 2.5RS and on the nasioc and rs25 boards. The RS is only around to get me by when it snows and then it's gone... sold... no more. The MR2 is the first car that's made me look for excuses to get out and drive. Seriously, I'll spend 15-20 minutes looking through the kitchen for whatever I don't have just to make a trip to the store. The RS has been fun, but there's no comparison IMHO.

tasteycow

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats interesting. :smile: cause i alway shear about 2.5rs owners saying the same thing.

I am really considering the mr2. I can see me throwing my bag in the passenger seat...t-tops down, cruising to the shore or something on a nice night. Or driving anywhere cause it looks like a simply fun car that requires skill and is challengin to drive.i am a fairly competent driver and would like the challenge of learning a new skill/car...which needs to be driven correctly. As much as i heart my suby, it is not boring in the driving experience in bad weather/snow...it just is maybe too easy? or doesn't require as much skill. I take pride and enjoyment in doing//trying to master difficult things.

I suppose the next question should be....turbo or not.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Thats not even a question my friend. I owned a 91 NA for 5 months and came to my senses. I then bought a 92 turbo and realized I wanted the benefits of the 93+ models so I had it for 6 months and bought a 93 with 54,000miles on it. I then realized I was going to mod the hell out of my car and didnt want to do it to that low of a mileage car so I had it for 8 months and sold it and got my 94 that I have today that I am more than happy with. Go for the turbo or you will do the same thing I did. WANT BOOST!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts