MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 88' S/C is having some trouble strarting when cold. Only when I park it outside my girlfriends house overnight and go to start it in the morning. If I park it at my house in the garage it starts perfectly fine and has yet to have a problem starting. Anyway, heres what goes on.

So the car turns over fine, and starts perfectly normal today. It idles for about 5 secs and then bogs down and dies. It took about 30+ times of this to get it so it wouldnt stall after start up(the temp needle had moved to the first line when it started idling fine). And if I start it up with it at WOT the car will rev to 3k or so and then die in like a few seconds. So I dont know whats up. Anyone have any input?

And before anyone says its the cold start injector, remember that if I press the gas pedal the engine dies even faster than if I just let it sit there and idle for a few secs. So I dont think its the cold start injector.

G

·
Open your diagnostics box in the engine and jump e and t1 with a paper clip then watch the check engine light blink. It wont tell you if your cold start is dead.

Sounds like an leak post AFM to me. Atleast that is what my problem was.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The CEL light comes on when the car stalls, but goes away when the car is running. Will I have to wait till it does it again and then jump e and t1 to get a code?

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
If this only happens when you are parked outside at night you are getting humidity in your ignition system. Once the car is fully warmed up and the ignition system dry, this will go away.

There should be an oring between the dizzy cap and the distributor housing. If the oring is hard/caked on or even missing, this will cause hard early morning cold starts.

I suggest checking that first before you start tearing into your motor or fiddling with your AFM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts