MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 MR2, with ae92 GZE MAP engine. I never took the engine harness off the engine. But I did have to mate up the mr2 body harness to the jdm stuff.

In order to start it and keep it running, when it's cold, I have to use the throttle to maintain around 2000 rpm, until the engine is warm. If I don't, it will stall. Once it's above the outside edge of the temp gauge, it will run fine.

I am getting ready to trouble shoot the cold start injector, but I was hoping that there is something simple that I am overlooking.

I did not hook up the ELS1/2 connections on the ECU, but I don't have an A/C. I capped off the two heater lines (I think this is right where the cold start injector timer sensor is located).

The car runs and idles fine otherwise, at least so far. :)

P.S.
Every problem I have had so far, has had a simple solution (that I'm too stupid to catch). e.g. Noise from the Supercharger, was caused by tensioner pulley rubbing on crank pulley. No charge from alternator (loping idle and bogging), was caused by using the wrong wire for the alternator signal wire. I'm hoping it's the same this time :smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
coolant temp sensor? im new to mr2's so its just a guess, had the same symptoms on my 92 cavalier and thats what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
545 Posts
symptoms of a swap man, thats all it is, all these little "bugs" always take a while to iron out, fat tony has a good lead though, check everything temperature sensor related...i also wonder if its not a symptom of capping off the heat lines...post back with some results or findings...i wanna help.

2k rpms is where the coldstart normal sits.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think I have it finally figured out. I pulled the I/C off and had a buddy watch to see if it was firing... it was firing allright, fireball coming out just about singed his eyebrows! Be carefull if you try this!!

Anyways, in troubleshooting some coolant leaks, I noticed that my homemade ground had come off of the tranny. The only other ground is the one from the front engine hook to the strut tower.

Put an 8 gauge ground wire from the front i/c mounting bar bolt, to a strut top nut. Car started just like it should! Cold start until warm, then back down and smooth!!! Stupid Stupid...

Bottomline: I think it was a lack of grounds to the engine. (injectors were probably not firing like they should)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts