MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into a mechanic shop(actually the one i work at) to get my cel light fixed which was on the car when I bought it. I have spent over 700 dollars to get code 71 fixed and it just keeps comming back on. I really wish that I would have read here about the 99c fix before I started spending money. The mechanic has believed it to be fixed about 8 times now and everytime it just keeps comming back on. Now he tells me that I need to rebuild my turbo because its blowing oil through the lines and clogging it up. ?? Does this sound reasonable? He has replaced every egr sensor and silinoid on the thing plus cleaned it out.. My car is completely stock 91t. I'm so frusterated right now :mad: . Last time I took it back in and he said he also scaned code 43 and said I should fix that before going on. This has been a very tricky situation as my uncle owned the mechanic shop and I work there I do not want to cause any problems . I work with customer service and have never seen anybody come back this many times with the same problem. Thanks for any advice on Code 71 and Code 43 you guys can give me besides the 99c fix as it might as well be fixed right after 700 dollars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm sorry but after spending $700 in repairs you have every right to complain. The tech did not diagnose the problem nor verify the repair. All the tech did was change parts.
Since every part in the circuit is new, tell him to verify first if the vsv is being energized at closed loop/cruise, and the EGR valve is getting vac. If both are ok, then clean the passage on the intake manifold correctly and check all vac lines in the circuit for clogging or leaks. Or replace the vac lines since he likes replacing stuff first before checking.
There is also a Trip Detection Driving Pattern (Toyota's pre-OBD II trip) for code 71 that if ran to completion w/out the CEL coming on verifies the fix. Make em work for the money you paid em. Save your 99 cents.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll pass that info along. Did anybody have any insight on code 43. I read somewhere it meant somebody push started the car. But i never did this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts