MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been having an "engine check" light go on a few times lately but didn't bother with it until yesterday when the car wouldn't fire up. Ran the diagnostics and came up with a "code 22" which is engine temp sensor. Would this keep the engine from firing up? Previously, the engine took a few turns to fire up, but once it was up and running it ran okay although the "engine check" light would go on for a few seconds and then turn off. Otherwise, it was running great.

BTW, it's a '91 n/a with WebCams, headers, PLX Devices 2 sensor, s-afc and MSD-6BTM ignition retard with Blaster coil and Nology wires.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
It's the coolant temp sensor and it could cause the ECU to think the engine is cold all the time thus dumping a lot of fuel to compensate. As far as it causeing it not to start, I doubt it but I could be wrong. It would cause bad gas mileage due to the reason i just explained and it would run rough.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
i bet the coolant temp sensor is messed up and telling the ECU that the engine is already warm... thus making it not want to start up when it is cold.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I'll do the diagnostics described in the BGB and, if it fails, will replace the sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, here's the follow-up. I put in a new sensor, but it still didn't start. I then checked for spark and there was none. Went through the BGB fault-finding analysis (page IG-10) and checked all the connections. With all my ignition mods, there must be a bad connection somewhere because, after checking the connections and jiggling the wires, the thing started firing intermittently and then had consistent spark (I was using a timing light to check for spark). Then it fired up and there was a ton of blue smoke -the a/f meter was reading 9-10 (way, way too rich), but then it settled down and idled okay. Normal idle is at an a/f reading of 11, but higher rpms read 14 (close to stoich). Haven't road-tested it yet, but I think the problem has gone away.

The point is: unless the ecu cuts spark when there's a code 22 (which I doubt), I don't think the bad sensor kept it from firing up. Most likely culprit in my situation was a bad connection in my ignition circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts