MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
its just a steel pipe you find at your local hardware store, don't remember the ID , but its easy to match up if you bring the clevis with you. U just need to cut it to length to match the stock unit and have the muffler shop weld it up for ya.

-BTW don't use galvanized since its very toxic to weld.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
^That's a great find.

I had to call around and visit a few hobby shops before finding mine. It costed $6, too! Wish I found that ebay listing. There was another listing I found that was $4+$5 shipping.

Anyhow, I finally got this mod done. I removed the nut in the frunk but still couldn't manage to get the entire pedal assembly out. Instead I rotated it enough to be able to drill through it. Pretty tough doing all the work under the dash but it was well worth it!

You da man, TURBRO!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
so a skateboard bearing will or will not work? and what are those bearings used for so when i go to the hobby store i can ask for what i need

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
As TURBRO mentioned, a skateboard bearing probably would not be a good idea. it is big and would mean drilling out a bigger hole meaning that there would be less metal left meaning the pedal would be weaker.

I think the sealed bearing is used for RC cars but I'm not 100% sure on that. I just called up a shop and asked them if they had the specific sealing bearing size.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
a needle bearing would work great too. 5/16 ID and 1/2 OD needle bearing can be found at a local autoparts store for $4.00 - Timken B-55 needle bearing.
TIMKEN/TORRINGTON B-55 Bearing
ya skateboard bearings have a 22mm OD which is too big for our pedal.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
bubblebutt said:
I hit another bump. I don't think the 5/16" ID of the sealed bearing is correct. I decided to test the pin through the bearing before I went further. It would not fit. Anyone else run into this problem?

Still a great mod, though. Perhaps the dimensions listed are just off?

I have gone back to stock for the moment.
For the record, my pin won't fit in the bearing either. I'm gonna run up to lowes and see what kind of dowel pins they have. It's only off by a hair

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Before you go to Lowe's, try using some sandpaper if you have some laying around and save yourself a trip. That is what I did. The pin seems to be thickest around the hole, but I pretty much had to sand the entire thing down just a tad.

·
Registered
505 Posts
TURBRO said:
a needle bearing would work great too. 5/16 ID and 1/2 OD needle bearing can be found at a local autoparts store for $4.00 - Timken B-55 needle bearing.

ya skateboard bearings have a 22mm OD which is too big for our pedal.

are skateboard bearings the same size as rollerblade bearings? bc if so, you can use them on the transmission side as shifter bushings. probably the easiest mod i can think of that cost little to nothing if you have older bearings around.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
i don't know if SB bearings and RB bearings are the same size but I believe the latter will work for the tranny side shifter bushings. I bought a "kit" from a local owner that consists of what appears to be rollerblade bearings and some washers. I never tried them but others did. I ended up getting speed source bushings just b/c I could.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I think this thread might solve my shifting problem... combined with a leaking clutch cylider that may have been caused by a buckling clevis under stiff clutch pedal.

Great! I ordered the ebay bearings (3 of them) also. Just search for this title:

5/16 x 1/2 x 5/32" Teflon Sealed Bearing.

I will update when complete.

·
Registered
601 Posts
TURBRO said:
Well heres a solidworks drawing I did in 15 min, now we just need a cnc machine..... :smile:
Very cool. I would checkout eMachineShop.com and see what it would cost to actually create one.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
so basically, you drill out the old weak bearing and put it the new 5/16 x 1/2 x 5/32" Teflon Sealed Bearing and then put everything back together? Just making sure I understand this right, probably a dumb question =/

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
^ essentially yes.... although, technically, there was no bearing there before... just a bushing and pin...

yet some might argue that the ball bearings won't last as long and it won't spin your pedal any faster, and that its just a gimmick by vendors to sell high priced bearings... :angel:

seriously kidding.

There are a few additional tricks that some have added, like washers to keep the bearing in place, and welding the clevis (a great idea imho).

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
as posted above another solution instead of a bearing is using a needle bearing by Timken B-55 is the exact part number I used. Its wider too, so I didn't even use any washers to keep it from moving around. Ya I its great to have a solid clevis, feels great try it sometime :thumbup

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Gandalf said:
I think this thread might solve my shifting problem... combined with a leaking clutch cylider that may have been caused by a buckling clevis under stiff clutch pedal.

Great! I ordered the ebay bearings (3 of them) also. Just search for this title:

5/16 x 1/2 x 5/32" Teflon Sealed Bearing.

I will update when complete.
Did you fit the bearings yet ?

21 - 40 of 102 Posts