MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'93 MR2 MkII turbo. Does the replacement clutch line (Clutch Hard Line Replacement - SW20 MR2) have to be kept away from the coolant pipes? It's easy to feed through, but lowering coolant pipes etc. is a PIA.
The end toward the slave cylinder sprung a leak at the bulkhead union.
Removed all shrouds. Cur off line at the rear bulkhead union with snips. Clean fitting with wire brush; penetrating oil, attempt hammering on a 7/16" socket over the fitting (intentionally slightly small). That loosened it sufficiently that a visegrip was able to loosen it. There's a YouTube video of a gal removing her original line by lowering the coolant lines. Simpler would be to wire tie the new one to the old where accessible. However, that would put the line in contact with the coolant pipes. Is that a no-no?

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,895 Posts
Not ideal but probably not an issue. Coolant pipes may be 200-220F, and (clean) brake fluid will have a boiling point around 400F or more (the clutch system uses brake fluid). Possibly an issue if the brake fluid in the clutch system is very, very old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not ideal but probably not an issue.
Yes, agreed. Those were my calculations too, but I've little experience. In the end I found I could route the hydraulic hose in a well in the gas tank itself (driver side or left), away from the coolant pipes. Several places to zip-tie the line. Thanks. Using all new Dot 3 (still correct?) as I have to bleed the entire system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts