MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’ve got my 88’ sc and I was driving down the road when my clutch pedal went to the floor without warning and my car started to roll forward. If this is an issue with these cars and can be solved without a major thing then yay, or did I blow my clutch and need to replace?

·
Premium Member
12,211 Posts
... If this is an issue with these cars...
Your car is over 30 years old, so everything is potentially an issue.

Pedal to the floor sounds like a hydraulic issue, but you can find out for sure just by looking at the linkage and seeing if the piston on the slave cylinder is extending. If the hydraulic line ruptured, then you have to replace it. If it is the seal in one of the cylinders, then you have to replace that, and it would be a good idea to replace both cylinders together. Look for fluid around the cylinders and on the ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This can potentially be as simple as air in your clutch line. But to the points above, if this is a brand new issue, and the clutch hasn't been serviced anytime recently, then most likely, that air got introduced more crudely than just not being bled properly. Look for something ruptured, or leaking.

I've had this exact same thing happen to me before when my clutch slave cylinder gave up the ghost upon pressing the clutch in to take off at a stop light. A seal blew and that was that. New CSC with fresh seals and a new clutch line got me squared away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your car is over 30 years old, so everything is potentially an issue.

Pedal to the floor sounds like a hydraulic issue, but you can find out for sure just by looking at the linkage and seeing if the piston on the slave cylinder is extending. If the hydraulic line ruptured, then you have to replace it. If it is the seal in one of the cylinders, then you have to replace that, and it would be a good idea to replace both cylinders together. Look for fluid around the cylinders and on the ground.
Did some further looking and found a leakig line today, it was completely rotted through so that’ll cause the issue I’d say. Thank you for the help however

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This can potentially be as simple as air in your clutch line. But to the points above, if this is a brand new issue, and the clutch hasn't been serviced anytime recently, then most likely, that air got introduced more crudely than just not being bled properly. Look for something ruptured, or leaking.

I've had this exact same thing happen to me before when my clutch slave cylinder gave up the ghost upon pressing the clutch in to take off at a stop light. A seal blew and that was that. New CSC with fresh seals and a new clutch line got me squared away.
I actually blew a line no joke. I lifted it up and lost all liquid damn near immediately through the line right under the bell housing

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually blew a line no joke. I lifted it up and lost all liquid damn near immediately through the line right under the bell housing
Yeah, I could certainly how that could cause a problem. Lol.

One of the nice things about the issue being so blatant is that troubleshooting becomes relatively easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts