MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone I got one for you, my son had a friend of his, take his car down just to change the tires and do an alignment, when he got the car back it was making a funny noise in the back right, when he turns a corner, he said it makes a clunking kind of grinding noise. He took it to Brian (no shoes) and he took off the CV axle and checked that, (which was ok) then brian suggested the wheel bearing, (not it) my son drove it home from Brians moms house and he said he can't hear it at high speeds just lower speeds, I told him he needed to check the used tire he put on it, hasn't done that yet. Brian says he has never seen anything like it before. Has anyone ever come across this? or have any other suggestions?

V

·
0 Posts
I forgot my login password

This is vaneck34, I had to reregister, waiting for my password, anyway, I had the wheel bearing changed, so thats how I know its not the bearing. I just had my husband move the car in the garage and I was watching it, this is what I seen, the driverside wheel is turning but the passengerside is not, well its turning but its sliding at the same time. If a coil over goes bad and collapses will this cause that? the passengerside is lower than the driverside, not by allot but I can put one finger on the top with space on the driverside but on the passengerside, I can bearly put one finger on the top of the tire. I am stummped. Its a 1991 MR2 Turbo, with coilovers on it

Dijital357 said:
how do you know it isnt the wheel bearing? kinda sounds like it is to me.

this car is an mr2, correct? what year, etc?

·
Registered
39 Posts
did you put new strut mounts on when you put the coil-overs in?
because they will make a clunking noise as well as the sway bar bushings

V

·
0 Posts
When I drove it no clunking noice

The coil overs were on the car when we bought it, its not a clunking noise I drove it, when my husband drove it, thats when I noticed the passenger side back tire was not rolling properly, it rolls and then stops rolling, rolls and then slides, thats the noise they heard.

MR2BEAKER said:
did you put new strut mounts on when you put the coil-overs in?
because they will make a clunking noise as well as the sway bar bushings

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do you know for a fact that the car wasn't making the noise before it went in for the tires and alignment?

What size wheels is he using? If there's something stuck to the inside of the wheel and it's hitting the brake caliper that could cause that behavior. I would also check on the caliper itself and the rotor.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
^ i was curious of the wheel size too. if he has lowered the car, and it has big wheels on it, the tire could be rubbing when he goes around a corner and makes that side spring compress.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hes got 17" rims on them, but its nothing differen't than was on it before, he just got new tires so he changed them out. Hes checked the calipers, the took everything apart when they checked the Axle. Everything seems to be correct except the passenger rear is lower than the driverside, not by much but its lower and the tires is having difficulty's turning on the passengerside thats the noise they hear. I watched it slide as he drove it up the driveway

Gairloch said:
Do you know for a fact that the car wasn't making the noise before it went in for the tires and alignment?

What size wheels is he using? If there's something stuck to the inside of the wheel and it's hitting the brake caliper that could cause that behavior. I would also check on the caliper itself and the rotor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No everything the same as before

He didn't change ths size of the tire at all, just put a newer one on. Its got power steering

Gocasen said:
Did he get a bigger profile tire put on? Stock are cars are ment for tiny 15's. is this power steering also or a manual rack.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
look at my other threat (only 1 tire spins) picture of diff there

I bought a LSD from someone on e-bay, no one bid on it, so I got it for 8.00 I couldn't believe it, but I did, I know someone that did the work for $725.00 more than I wanted to spend but it would have cost me more than that to have it taken apart and put back together

[

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Its a piece of junk company on ebay. That copys others designs and sell stuff for peanuts. I beleave the supra crew is buying one of thier diff's and going to see how much power/beatings it can take before it breaks.

Well i just read threw the thread on sf and the diff doesn't even fit. So they can't even stress test it yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it was stock

Someone bought the tranny but wanted a locking diff so he sold the diff out of it, it fit fine and works great.

Gocasen said:
Its a piece of junk company on ebay. That copys others designs and sell stuff for peanuts. I beleave the supra crew is buying one of thier diff's and going to see how much power/beatings it can take before it breaks.

Well i just read threw the thread on sf and the diff doesn't even fit. So they can't even stress test it yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts