MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a torque wrech and a breaker bar for pretty much nothing but changes wheels for racing.
i got $50 on paypal so i was thinking about just picking some cheap ones off ebay. i dont need real nice ones becuase i will only be using them for wheels, shouldnt have a need for torqueing down heads or anything.

do you guys think it would be a bad idea to just pick up these or something similar to them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42265&item=4352417054&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20773&item=4353467154&rd=1

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
They'll both probably break. Dont skimp out on tools man, if you have $50 you can probably at the VERY least snag an excellent torque wrench and get a cheap breaker bar.

But, let me tell you something, a cheap breaker bar will do just that. The bar will break in half and you'll probably break your hand on whatever you're trying to use it for. Dont skimp out on tools ever ever ever

Even if you're 'just using it for wheels', you may end up using it on something else in the future and when you need it most, it'll kill you.

And a cheap torque wrench? Well, who knows how accurate they are, among other things

Edit: The breaker bars in your auction even have a slight curve on them! That's not a sign of quality....

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
pick up some craftsman tools. they have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee. so if you break it just bring it to any sears store and they will replace it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
craftsman tq wrenches only have a 1 year warranty I believe, but everything else is lifetime.

A 4-way is better for removing the lugs, don't you have one? What about the bar in the spare kit? Seems to me all you need is a torque wrench, and I would definitely buy a quality one. You don't want your wheels coming off do you? Saving $30 will suddenly turn into a huge expense if a wheel comes off and you crash.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 4way bar. someone just said a breaker bar would be easier. i'll probably just go with a $50 torque wrench and use the 4way.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
I would suggest at least a home depot or lowes big torque wrench which run ~$70, iirc.
the one in that auction isn't even a good hammer, imo.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was gonna look for a snap-on one on ebay for somewhere around $50. any other brands people recommend?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
$10 model

Buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight for about $10.00.

It works just fine. With a 4% +/- accuracy, you'll only be off by up to about 3 foot pounds at the stock wheel lug torque spec of 76 ft.-lb. Your wheels won't fall off. I've used one of these for years for just this sole purpose and they're fine for the price. Save your money for a good meal instead. And it won't be your 'last supper.' :angel:

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
I had one of those (looks just like the one from the ebay page you linked) and that's what I was referring to when I said it wasn't even a good hammer.
It will work, but I don't trust it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
What's to trust? Precise accuracy? It's not that critical. I'd guess 99%+ of motorists don't even use a torque wrench to tighten their own wheel's lug nuts and their wheels seldomly if ever fall off. Even those who do seldomly if ever check the torque after 15 miles or so to see it changed. The reason the cheap one above isn't a good hammer is that it wasn't designed to be a hammer.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I knew this mechanic at a Union 76 who had a breaker bar break and smash his face in. Broke his nose and cheekbone. Don't skimp on tools.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
DELF said:
What's to trust? Precise accuracy? It's not that critical. I'd guess 99%+ of motorists don't even use a torque wrench to tighten their own wheel's lug nuts and their wheels seldomly if ever fall off. Even those who do seldomly if ever check the torque after 15 miles or so to see it changed. The reason the cheap one above isn't a good hammer is that it wasn't designed to be a hammer.
I said it will work.
It's just like anything else ......... are you really saying the daewoo of torque wrenches is a good purchase? why not spend a little more and get a corolla that isn't awesome, but that's completely dependable. ;)
too little torque = the possibility of the lugnuts coming off and losing a wheel ....... very slim chance, I agree.
too much torque = possibly warping brake rotors ........ once again, very slim chance since you'd really have to crank em' down without mercy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but isnt using one of these going to be more dependable then just using a 4way wrench? or atleast more accurate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts