MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i'm looking to paint my 91t with faded red paint into black for as cheap as possible. does anybody know any shops around socal with insane cheap price??

1daypaint.com - i was going to get a plus 1 package for ~$340, but they said the cheapest paint didn't include black as a color :rolleyes: plus they said changing color on my car (from red to black) will cost an extra $100. so everything will come out to be around $600 (i'd have to go plus 2 stage for black so it's ~$500+$100 for color change). i know $600 is probably not that expensive, but i just want to see if it can get any cheaper.

:(

any input will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
^^^ thats pretty good... cause a friend of mine went the same way you did but hey payed out of his pocket about close to 800 bucks... so i think the one you found is a good deal... however... im just not soo sure about the quality... just remember that what you pay for is what you get...so good luck!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
lol christian?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
1day paint did my car 3 years ago. It's now falling off in chunks. They ____ed up the color change too, and wouldn't honor their warranty.

You get what you pay for, just keep saving. If I want to have the car painted right now I'm going to have to have the whole thing stripped...

I should add that it was one of the higher end packages and was something like $900...

·
Registered
487 Posts
do all the prep work yourself, i paid $150 just to get a headlight cover and fender painted white and they didnt even remove the side marker when they painted so the clearcoat+glue ruined the brand new one. they also didnt sand or do anything so there's holes where the old paint chipped.

cheap paint might be OK if you do the prep work, but if you don't, forget it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
with paint and body work you get what you pay for......a $500 paint job is gonna look like $500 paint job. It also depends on your standards and how much you like you car. I love my car the only one that will paint it is me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You should get it repainted red. The red is gonna show all over the place if you do a color change to black and it chips. For a cheap paint job they dont sand and primer they paint right over the old paint. The quality of the spray and finish depends on the specific location since its a franchise. There is a guy on the board that got his car and bodykit painted at maaco and it looks good. Do a search

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i've already searched, but couldn't really find anything :( thanks for all the advices guys, surprised i didnt get flamed cuz i'm looking for the cheap way out lol. i think i will just save up and do a real paint job, cuz honestly i'll feel pretty bad for my 2 if the paint starts falling off in chunks. damn it.

hi aaron. i think the price you got quoted for the paint was more realistic lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i would suggest you to save up some more money. because change color would be a hard job, a decent color change paint job would be at least $1500, some goes up to 3000. Ask louis, MR2T32, for his friend, David. He does pretty good job, and decent price, too. And forget about those cheap paint, it just doesn't worth it to try on a MR2

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
yeah T&L does $1400 for no color change, but a real decent job for the price.
CHRISTIAN DO THIS!!

i want the grey and white one =)

-Aaron

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
PoLaRiZ-MR2 said:
i would suggest you to save up some more money. because change color would be a hard job, a decent color change paint job would be at least $1500, some goes up to 3000. Ask louis, MR2T32, for his friend, David. He does pretty good job, and decent price, too. And forget about those cheap paint, it just doesn't worth it to try on a MR2

^^^ yes i second that.. ive been there and seen his work in person... i can honnestly say he does a good job id highly recommend him too :thumbup but..... only thing is his place might be full.... cause it always is... kinda what happens when you do good work... :evillaugh

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
Take it to Mexico. There is a shop that does good work. Many of the porsche guys take cars there. Problem is that you will have to leave it there and pick it up when its done. Also if you don't have a passport they may not let you back in. :smile:

That's where my porsche is going to paint. You can buy the paint here or use theirs in mexico.

Check out these posts:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261141&highlight=LOs+Ponchos

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204841&highlight=LOs+Ponchos

·
Registered
372 Posts
You get what you pay for. If you can live with a crappy paint job, then go ahead and go the "cheap" route. If you really want a nice paint job that will last and not give you trouble, save up for a real paint job.

These guys are pretty good. Ask for ALex and tell him Rick sent you :thumbup

http://www.m1autosport.com/

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
wow need to find el poncho

this weekend I was fed up with my car looking like shut ( i was using tape to hold my body kit together) so I bondoed fixed and painted some black fenders and a messed up bumper

As for the chepo paint jobs dont do it, they dont even clean the car they just scruff it up and start painting

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
rickdogg said:
You get what you pay for. If you can live with a crappy paint job, then go ahead and go the "cheap" route. If you really want a nice paint job that will last and not give you trouble, save up for a real paint job.

These guys are pretty good. Ask for ALex and tell him Rick sent you :thumbup

http://www.m1autosport.com/
M1 charges a GAAAAAAAAANG and its b/c the mostl do custom paint and show cars. I think a plain 2 stage black w/ clear coat should never run over $1600, especially on such a small car. They were asking $2K plus. -_-
The candy orange IS300 that belongs to phil, lives down my street. yeah they do a good job, but unless its a show/custom car, i dont think itd be necassary...

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
mow said:
That's where my porsche is going to paint. You can buy the paint here or use theirs in mexico.
Wouldn't mexican paint be better since it doesn't have to meet all the california environmental regs? You can get a better paint job just going to Arizona, so I'd think Mexico would be even better, provided the quality of labor is the same.

I looked at those porsche forum posts and a few others, and I think I just found where I'll be taking my car. I'd be interested in your experiences once you get your Porsche done.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
m1 charges way too much and honestly i dont think they do quality work they charge for. my friend of mine took his white s2000 to get it painted white again and to get the hardtop painted and they had over spray evrywhere. he paid like $2k by the way, f*** them

·
Registered
372 Posts
mr93turbo said:
m1 charges way too much and honestly i dont think they do quality work they charge for. my friend of mine took his white s2000 to get it painted white again and to get the hardtop painted and they had over spray evrywhere. he paid like $2k by the way, f*** them
There are horror stories about every paint shop. Did they handle the situation for him atleast? I've never had a problem with them and I take my Z there.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts