MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Internally, wouldn't the cheap-o Ebay manual boost controllers be the same as the TwosRUS MBC or the TurboXS mbc? The only difference being that the TurboXS MBC is pretty and adonized, where as this Ebay MBC looks like it came out of the plumbing department of Home Depot? Anyone use one? It's not like the thing is going to explode upon use and send metal filings into your turbo...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7951271751&category=33742&sspagename=WDVW

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I asked the same question when i first got my mr2 and from what i learned the CHEAP ebay ones are not as good as the 2's R Us due to a couple things....longer better hoses....dual ball valve system vs just a single one (controls boost better).

Im sure that people will elaborate on this :p

Plus why not support your mr2 community by getting it from 2's r us :p

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Emartoo said:
Internally, wouldn't the cheap-o Ebay manual boost controllers be the same as the TwosRUS MBC or the TurboXS mbc?
No.

Emartoo said:
It's not like the thing is going to explode upon use and send metal filings into your turbo...
No, but if it causes a boost spike, it could make your piston ring lands explode.

Ken

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plus why not support your mr2 community by getting it from 2's r us :p
Even though Dave Hawkins offers awesome customer support and has been nothing but supportive, I'm not sure how buying boost controllers from him versus another manufacturer directly benefits the MR2 community. It allows Dave to buy more MR2 parts for his store, sure, but even so that's not going to affect the community drastically. In a hypothetical scenerio, what if he chose to stock a bunch of LB's parts with the profit he made from me buying boost controllers from him? Wouldn't that be *hurting* the MR2 community? :)

BTW, I've already spent at least $300-400 through TwosRUs and bought a membership, so it's only on this particular deal that I'm trying to save money.

No, but if it causes a boost spike, it could make your piston ring lands explode.
So my question is, then, would a cheap 8.99 Ebay boost controller be prone to spiking?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Emartoo said:
Even though Dave Hawkins offers awesome customer support and has been nothing but supportive, I'm not sure how buying boost controllers from him versus another manufacturer directly benefits the MR2 community. It allows Dave to buy more MR2 parts for his store, sure, but even so that's not going to affect the community drastically. In a hypothetical scenerio, what if he chose to stock a bunch of LB's parts with the profit he made from me buying boost controllers from him? Wouldn't that be *hurting* the MR2 community? :)

So my question is, then, would a cheap 8.99 Ebay boost controller be prone to spiking?
-Well to answer your first question, it gives him incentive to stay in the mr2 market. No one buying his stuff means he needs to sell elsewhere, and trying to find good products for the mr2 isn't as easy as other cars.

For you 2nd question, I've learned when it comes to cars, you usually get what you pay for. ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
you get what you pay for.

Stop being cheap and buy your baby a proper boost controller. :D Proper boost control is essential.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Emartoo said:
The Twosrus MBC is $48 shipped to club members. The eBay one is $14 shipped. The TwosRus is a proven, known-good design, from a reputable company that stands behind their products, and supports the community. NA2005 anyone?

The eBay one is made by "fly by night motoring", and we have nobody in the community that can vouch for it's efficacy.

So you are essentially asking if you should gamble a $2k engine rebuild to save $34.

My answer is no.

Ken

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Ive been using an ebay boost controller for 2 years on 3 different turbo setup's, and its worked well for me. It cost me 9 dollars.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
If you fully understand the OEM boost control system, understand how boost controllers work, are capable of diagnosing and troubleshooting boost control porblems, and can set up your new boost controller unassisted, then probably any boost controller will be OK.

But...if you ever need any help in any of those areas, or if you ever get a unit that does not perform correctly, you will wish you had spent $48 with David and twosrus!

JMHO

bill

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
the twosrus MBC is awsome, and i am very satisfied with twosrus because they have helped me with other products also "endlinks" come on.. honestly if anyone is that cheap to want to save that 30 some dollars, why dont u jus leave the motor stock instead of trying to mod it. Don't ever half ass something. do it right the first time or dont do it at all.

-vince

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i am having a 10 dollar mbc right here , and works great .

so dont talk _____ please and a twosrus is better , all those things works the same.
its a piece of metal . 2 nipples , ball . and a tiny spring

if there is a sticker from turboXS or twosrus or anything on it , than evreything more 11 usd you pay , is for the sticker !!!!!!!!

think easy , buy from ebay , after all it all the same.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
KBlake said:
The Twosrus MBC is $48 shipped to club members. The eBay one is $14 shipped. The TwosRus is a proven, known-good design, from a reputable company that stands behind their products, and supports the community. NA2005 anyone?

The eBay one is made by "fly by night motoring", and we have nobody in the community that can vouch for it's efficacy.

So you are essentially asking if you should gamble a $2k engine rebuild to save $34.

My answer is no.

Ken
sure..... :blah:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Turbo_PePe said:
i am having a 10 dollar mbc right here , and works great .

so dont talk _____ please and a twosrus is better , all those things works the same.
its a piece of metal . 2 nipples , ball . and a tiny spring

if there is a sticker from turboXS or twosrus or anything on it , than evreything more 11 usd you pay , is for the sticker !!!!!!!!

think easy , buy from ebay , after all it all the same.
It also matters ont he quality of the spring...if the spring is supposed to withstand alot of tension for long period of time then i would want soemthing that is alot better quality.

Also for those who say, well im running a 10 buck controller for the last blah blah years and im fine. Well its not EVERYONE that ____ can happen to its just if you look at the % of problems people have with that vs one that is built better. Maybe not in the MR2 community but i have heard talks about the ebay crap on the tacoma and supra forums.

Anywhoo i got the 2's r us and am happy with it. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
man , we are talking about a simple B&S mbc.

you really think the quality of the spring , ball , nipple ... or anything are diffrent between a KO , or Ebay one ? no way !

i am one happy , very happy KO racing and Twosrus customer , but for such a simple thing as a ball and spring mbc , i'm sure there is no diifrence in them , the one KO sells is for 99% the same as the ebay mbc.

if not .... than prove which parts are such diffrent , and that much better in the ko mcb that it must cost 4 times as much as the one from ebay ;)

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Turbo pepe is correct. There really is no "quality issue" with the component parts (including the spring). They are all off-the-shelf components available from any major hardware store. And a "ball/spring boost controller" is nothing but an adjustable check valve.

As I said above, if you never need customer service, it really doesn't matter. But if you do, see how much service you get from the average Ebay seller!

And judging from the MANY posts that start "Help, I just installed my boost controller and.....(pick your problem to insert here)", lots of owner's need at least some "customer service"!

bill

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
What was this dual ball system that was mentioned earlier? AFAIK it's the same as any other ball-spring unit? If anything, the ebay one is BETTER because it offers an allen screw which is easier to adjust precisely. But the 2srus has a 90 degree nipple so both pointing in the same direction, for better packaging.

I love the "got boost?" sticker that came with my 2sRus MBC. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts