MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered a few times, but I did do a search and can't quite find what I'm looking for...so I'm posting.

I want to change my interior from tan leather to black. The seats and floor carpets don't seem terribly difficult. However, how hard is it going to be to re-do the roof on a T-top car, since that is also a tan color and I would like to change it to black.

Sorry again if this is a beat to death post and I'm to retarded to use the search tool right :deadhorse

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
you can dye the plastic parts and recover the other parts...go to a fabric store and ask on recovering and the dye i reccommend that ive used personally was VHT Interior dye works great...

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Replacing the t-top roof panel is easy. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't done it or was impatient.

Here's what you do-

Remove the t-tops
Remove the sun visors and the clips
Remove the dome light/rear view mirror (pop off the cover and three screws)
Remove all plastic trim behind the seats. This include the two running above/below the rear window, and the two on the side windows (which require you to remove the two underneath the windows)
Remove the inner t-top edge seal
Remove the visible clips holding the panel on along the edges
Slowly pull down the panel, there are more clips holding it to the roof
WHen all is done pull panel out

Installing the black t-top panel is the reverse

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
redblues said:
Replacing the t-top roof panel is easy. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't done it or was impatient.

Here's what you do-

Remove the t-tops
Remove the sun visors and the clips
Remove the dome light/rear view mirror (pop off the cover and three screws)
Remove all plastic trim behind the seats. This include the two running above/below the rear window, and the two on the side windows (which require you to remove the two underneath the windows)
Remove the inner t-top edge seal
Remove the visible clips holding the panel on along the edges
Slowly pull down the panel, there are more clips holding it to the roof
WHen all is done pull panel out

Installing the black t-top panel is the reverse

unless one of those screws holding the dome light is in there so tight, that not even an air tool can get the darn thing loose...im still trying to figure out how to get that ONE SCREW out... :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
sw204me said:
unless one of those screws holding the dome light is in there so tight, that not even an air tool can get the darn thing loose...im still trying to figure out how to get that ONE SCREW out... :mad: :mad:
Those are small screws any power drill with a reverse bit can easily handle.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i just swapped out my blue interior for a black one..you know what ur in for...although it was alot easier then i thought it would be

·
cages R slow
1,981 Posts
i remember swapping out my tan interior for black..... cept i removed the tan a few weeks before i received the black. as a result i drove the car around w/ no interior for a while - very noticable weight difference! oh yea, and the mod was well worth it. the black looks sleek where as the tan make the car look like a cheap 80's version of a Ferarri :barf

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
SpeedyCorky said:
i remember swapping out my tan interior for black..... cept i removed the tan a few weeks before i received the black. as a result i drove the car around w/ no interior for a while -
oh do i know the feeling:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/p4442feedac20652e0a018bd392fa8f8a/f68ae34c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/p0d07b25787e0ee470639a12812d00b24/f68ae342.jpg

i just threw the seat in when i needed to go somewhere..plus the steering wheel :thumbup

·
cages R slow
1,981 Posts
i so wish i had removed my air conditioning core thingie when i had all of the interior apart..... i belelive i tried then gave up b/c i didnt wanna put much effort into it at the time. but now that i've removed the compressor, a/c radiator thingie, and all lies, and other parts except the core - i wish i had done it back then...

less weight = good for everything

oh yea and btw dont forget to plug back in your clock when u reinstall the dash. i've been running with out a clock for 2 years now ... a friend of mine has been running over 3 :p

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, thanks for the tip! The tan leather package already has a black dash though...so I don't think I'll have to pull that out. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts