MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know this is kinda a noob question but where are the drain and fill plugs for the Mk1 gearbox on my 86? I looked at it and I can't find them or I looked right past them. Also how much MT-90 will it take to fill it?

Except for a bit of a grr if you shift into 2nd quickly the gearbox is smooth and I have no idea when the oil was last changed so I am hoping that the synchros will be a bit happier if I change the oil.

thanks,

Mark

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
Click to enlarge
Drain plug is at the very bottom center of this picture - it's a big one.... 23mm I think.

I fill it from here

Use 2.5 quarts - redline is great stuff, it got rid of my second gear grind!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Your first picture also shows the recommended fill plug. It's near the end of your filter. it has the drip lip in the casting near it. It's recommended because if the car is level on jackstands, the fluid will run out right there when it's at the proper level. The top hole can also be used, but it's a guessing game as to the proper fill level.

As an aside, always loosen your fill plug before cracking loose the drain one in case you happen to round off the fill hole one. Then the car can still be driven because you will have not drained the fluid yet :)

Your 86 NA takes 2.7 US Quarts when dry (though 2.5 is probably close when draining and refilling).
The E-series found in the SC takes 4.4 US Quarts dry.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
I did it from below, on the ground, no jackstands. And I'm not skinny at 250 lbs. I emptied a Mobile gear oil bottle that's designed as a squeeze bottle and filled it up with Redline MT90. I just layed on the ground along side the car and reached in to squeeze the gear oil in. Two or three bottles later it was draining out of the fill hole. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody! I can now add that to the weekends projects. :)

Now I see why I missed it before. It isn't obvious like the drain and fill ports on my 73 MGB are (the only other car I have ever changed the gear oil on myself).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts