MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to publications, improvement on the 94+ Mr2 was increase front castor. In effect it improved the steering feel and stability of the car. The toe-in was reduced to 4mm from 6mm at the rear. This alterations gives dramatic changes as claimed by the reviewers.

Can this be done on early model cars?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Both can be changed on 91 and 92 model cars. A lot of people think "increased stablilty" means boring. I had my 93 aligned to behave more like the earlier cars.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
In terms of the toe in, you can set it to what you want with an alignment.

The front caster was increased on the 94s by changing the offset on the front strut tops. It only gives you about a half degree (maybe less) more caster, IIRC. That is not all that much, although the 93 could use more caster.

If you really want more caster in your 93, you could buy 94 strut tops. They are different, but interchangeable. Or you could swap in the 91-2 front strut rods and brackets and get all the caster you need. I really don't think any of that will make a noticeable difference, though.

John

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jeebert2 said:
In terms of the toe in, you can set it to what you want with an alignment.

The front caster was increased on the 94s by changing the offset on the front strut tops. It only gives you about a half degree (maybe less) more caster, IIRC. That is not all that much, although the 93 could use more caster.

If you really want more caster in your 93, you could buy 94 strut tops. They are different, but interchangeable. Or you could swap in the 91-2 front strut rods and brackets and get all the caster you need. I really don't think any of that will make a noticeable difference, though.

John
Jhon,

The toe on the rear can be changed with alignment but the front caster needs parts interchanged to increase caster to 94+ specs?
Did toyota modify the rear control bracket on 94? The article state that mounting bracket was modified to decrease toe-in on 94.

It also state that the control arm in front has been change to increase caster but did not mention about the strut mount/top

The caster angle was change from 2*50' to 3*15'

Will this work?

http://www.tein.com/img/ptrod1.jpg

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
No, you would have to replace the nonadjustable strut rod with an adjustable one for a 91 or 92 model. You would need the bracket that mounts to the frame also. Or you could get those tein ones. Wonder how much they cost?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I remember reading some old posts that indicated our cars do not respond well to increased positive caster. However, this applies to several degrees of increase; I would imagine .5 degree could be beneficial, especially since Toyota implemented it.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
If you're feeling saucy, you could lengthen the holes in the '93 strut rod mount, then tighten the hell out of the bolt--that would give you caster adjustability on a '93. . . :D (I would be afraid that it might slip under high tension--right when you don't want anything to slip.)

Or you can replace the '93 strut rods and mounts with '92 rods and mounts. (Simple, easy, and safe!)

Or you can buy the Tein rods (or similar, if anyone else makes them). (Never tried these, but they look kinda cool.)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the Tein adjustable pillow ball tension rod. How do I adjust the caster angle to exact measurement? Do I need special tools?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts