MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is actually my first post here.

I have a 1993 MR2 and just recently pulled the dash to change the old bulbs to the new LED ones you can buy off of Prime MR2. After getting everything back together I come to find that only half of my cluster now lights up. The tach, voltage meter, and coolant sensor all light up fine but my speedo and fuel don't light up at all. I thought it was the fuses so I checked the gauge fuse and it looks perfectly fine. I also pulled it back out to look at the bulbs and I didn't see anything wrong with them. I know that some older cars have issues when changing to LEDs, I'm just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and had a fix for it, absolutely anything would be appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum. The LEDs could be bad but it is more likely that the LED wire was bent during the install and isn't making contact within the socket. Also you could try switching known working bulbs into those sockets. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive so flipping them around like shiverdc2002 suggested may work.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
155 Posts
From what I can see in the schematics, the Meter Illumination all shares the same power, and controlled by the rheostat. So if one side is not working, there could be a break in the flexible PCB trace somewhere, OR as Shiverd said be poor contact on the copper trace to bulb. (I usually clean with electrical cleaner to get any carbon buildup off and ensure contacts are nice and shiney. In rare cases I'll use a very fine grit (1000+) sand-paper on the exposed trace (careful though, you only want to clean the exposed copper, and not the protected traces). Other than that, check power (and low side) continuity to the bulb side that is not working, to the contacts on the side that is not. If either read open, you'll have to find where the trace may be broken. IF they have continuity, then check the bulb.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
Flip the bulbs around and test again. I had to do this with mine. Also check to make sure the fitment in the socket is good.
I'd say this is more likely the answer than any of the others. It's a trap many fall into with doing this mod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts