MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This coming spring, I'm putting in my napa rotors, axxis pads, kyb gr-2's, and tien s. tech springs. Should I get new wheel bearings while they are exposed? Or am I safe just greasing them up again? If I should get new ones, you guys have any reccomendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that was fast :thumbup If they are cheap maybe I should get them...or if I see signs of major wear. Anyways, 5sfte- is it the pic or are you extremely tall?

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Yeah if they are cheap then buy new ones but I have never priced them and actually, have never done it on an MR2 before but on other vehicles I have. As far as wear, you should be able to tell, like bearings out of place or missing. Honestly, I have never felt the need to do this but it wouldn't hurt to repack them or replace them all together.

LOL Yeah I noticed that when I saw the pic to but it looks like I'm 7 foot tall but it's just the pic I am only 6 ft coincidently my dad is 6'11" but I never inherited that gene from him (or so I don't think you never know) maybe caue my mom is 5'5" it balanced it out. My car is lowered in the pc so maybe taht is helping the illusion.?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
does the wheel bearing make nosie or somthing while highway driving and at turns, like a innoying rub. if not you might just want to wait on that. your money your choice. but if theres nothing wrong with it don't bother. besides it's easy enough to take it off to get a new bearing pushed in. self installed or shop installed?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
self installed. I have never noticed noises on the highway or in turns. I guess I'll just repack them with grease. Just regular bearing grease?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
fronts are sealed for life.. id assume the rears would be too.. maybe not tho. just repack them if you feel so inclined.. its a pain in the ass to change them, im all for DIY, but without a press its a nightmare.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Yeah, you have to take the whole hub assembly off just to service them. Assuming the bearings weren't bad and also assuming the hub is still in good shape (not eaten up from bad bearings). =\

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Everything is press-fit in there. It's not really something you'd do "while you're in there." Bearings, at least from Toyota, aren't cheap ($50/corner?) and a shop is probably gonna charge you $75-100 to press everything off/on assuming you just take them the knuckles and new bearings. The way the knuckles are designed it's kind of a PITA to press them. The bearings do come apart, but I don't think Toyota intended them to be serviced, as that would require pressing them apart as well.

To test if a bearing is still good, pull outward on the top of the tire when the wheel is on the car, like you're trying to pull the wheel off the car. If nothing rattles/moves, your bearings are probably fine.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
yep move the tires up and down (not really pull/push top/bottom in-out) to find out about the bearing, move left to right (push/pull left/right in/out) for tie rod end. the stores here charge about $30 dollars for normal bearings and $40 for non sealed or double bearings a side. yea after buying bearings for however much they are don't forget to buy the seals too. but if its not bad don't worry about it. do you drive hard on the streets or do you drive pretty reserved?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll really have to check it come this spring, it's under a cover in the garage of my g/parents. I didn't have any noise issues though. I'm pretty sure it's good. I thought it was like "normal" bearings on more common cars. As for driving, I don't drive that hard, fairly aggressive but I've never gone auto-xing or gone to the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts