MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it hard to replace your cartrige for your suspension? I am ordering KYB GR2 for my 91 n/a, I did a search and found info on swapping springs and cartriges, but nothing about JUST cartriges. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
not really too hard to do but you'll want to have acess to some good tools. The big nut that holds the strut cartrage in place (32 or 28mm...big) is usually a pain to take out. I'd recommend a vice and some pb blaster when you have the whole thing out of the car. Also too it wouldent hurt to do a alighnment once your all done. it should take you anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on if your using air or not and if you've done it before. Always make sure your car is on jack stands and is secure before working on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh very good write-up, dunno how I missed that one :p But, does autozone have a rental tool for the spring compressor? Just wondering if anyone knew. Also, how can you tell if your strut mounts are bad in the front? Believe that is what they are called anyways :p

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I dont' know about autozone, but I know Checker does if they're in your area.

A couple things about that write up.

1. It is NOT necessary to cut your brake line tabs. Just disassemble 'em like you're supposed to.

2. When it comes time to remove the gland nuts it is much easier to put the nut in a vice (upside down) and use a prybar to turn the strut tube.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
they might have a electric impact gun, I used one of those when I did mine the first time, usually its not too useful becuase of the size but it would work for the gland nut which is a PITA if your using hand tools.

If you dissembe the brake lines you'll have to re-bleed them, although it wouldent hurt to probibly do it's just another thing to do, your choice. of all the installs I've done (lots of suspention) I've always cut the tab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts