MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
So I’m in the process of restoring my 91 and my carpet needs r/r’ed pretty badly. Cigarette burns, sun fade, etc. I’m almost to the point of buying the black mr2 carpet roll available at ACC... but I need to know if anyone has tried to install mk1 carpets into an mk2?? Are interior dimensions that skewed between models where they couldn’t be modified to (for the most part) fit? Help me oh wise forum elders. Help me.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
No AW11 carpet will not work for the SW20. Check the facebook mr2 pages usually carpet comes up for sale or just make a post saying you're wanting some. Also as a quick fix you could just buy new reproduction floor mats, they cover most of the carpet anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was a long shot but didn’t want to let it go without asking first. I plan on getting the floor mats as well, but wanted to fix the carpet issues at the same time. Can you still access Facebook yard sale if you no longer have an account? Dumb question probably but... **** idk. Thanks for the insight also

·
Registered
85 Posts
I couldn't believe ACC doesn't sell carpets for the MKII. That was going to be my first purchase. I ended up having to buy a couple sets of used before I got a good one. They're all 20-30 years old now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't believe ACC doesn't sell carpets for the MKII. That was going to be my first purchase. I ended up having to buy a couple sets of used before I got a good one. They're all 20-30 years old now.
I know, it’s too bad because I’m sure the whole Mk2 community wouldn’t mind an fresh OE looking carpet. I broke down last week and bought some black nylon carpet. 40” by 72” - one for each side. I’m going to attempt to make it look halfway decent. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
100 good lucks with that one. You might wan't to look to the hot rod / upholstery shop set. They do custom carpet work a lot. I've currently got everything out waiting on various bits to go back together. Restoring these is not for the faint of heart >_<'

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the well wishes(X100). Truer words have never been spoken. I have parts scattered across my kitchen, computer room, and garage. Currently the only thing in the interior is wiring harnesses and the dash :( I love and hate it at the same time. Got my sound deadening material in the mail today so I’ve got some work to do before I get to the carpet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're describing my house. and my car. and my life. I'm one up on you though, I have all the tar chipped out of the floor where the t-top ate some nice holes. What are you doing for sound deadening? I got the Nico 80 mil and I'm waiting on the roller in the mail to install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you also eating leftover spaghetti and watching Bounty Hunter with Gerard Butler and Hennifer Hanniston? Cause that would be some crazy glue lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fresh spaghetti, freshly grated Romano and "Travels by narrow boat"- So very close?! Who knew I had a twin?!

Yeah, that's the same stuff I've got. Where ever I ordered that roller from they must be sending it by burro or row boat or something. Everything else is waiting on that stuff to go down, haha!

What are you thinking on coverage for that stuff? All over everything or strategically placed cut outs? I guess where I removed the tar that second layer of sheet metal with those plastic nuts on top I can just go over the whole floor pan and up the firewall. I left the stock stuff on the tunnel. I'm thinking that aluminum HVAC tape for around edges and covering where the factory put stickers over chassis holes.

So you're painting the dash? Mine is cracked so I have to source a new one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Close enough to be twilight “zoney”, if not twins .

Lmao! Rowboat or Burro! I’ve been there, as far as waiting forever for the snail mail. Are you bi-lingual or is burro not a reference to a donkey?
I may take a page out of your book and remove the tar first, then I’m going to focus mostly on the flatter/more recessed places on the floor and firewall. I feel like the interior panels on the Mk2 may have a low tolerance for sound deadening thickness given the fastener lengths on some panels.
I hate that about your dash. My heart breaks for you on that :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was thinking burro as the slowest thing that could be used as transport for goods. My roller is surely on ones back as we speak.

Well, this stuff probably adheres better to bare metal, but if it sticks to the existing tar it will just be that much quieter. I'm not overly concerned with the weight in my case, it's already an N/A with no power steering , no anything. At my age I'll take a little peace and quiet as I drive, over a couple lbs. I'm thinking a couple of rectangles in the inside of the doors also, they don't have any sound mitigation at all. That corner behind the seat belts would be a good spot, behind that 2" speaker. There was some loose foam in there but it disintegrated when I took it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was my thought, I’d rather have the quieter ride and compromise a couple pounds. Plus I’ve switched out the engine lid to the turbo (fiberglass) and new seats that are lighter too... soooo... maybe I won’t notice it at all??

I’m going to attempt inside the door as well, maybe use some to replace the plastic that used to hang behind the door panel too.
I watched a video of a dude using leather punches to make it easier around bolt heads and such with the sound deadening material, so I ordered a set and THEY CAME IN TODAY!! I’m about to get this thing prepped and start knockin it out! I hope your burro shows up today!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
The hole punch is a good idea. No burro yet. I should have gotten that thing from Mcmaster carr, would have had it twice over by now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The hole punch is a good idea. No burro yet. I should have gotten that thing from Mcmaster carr, would have had it twice over by now.
How much of the tar did you chip up in yours? This is probably overkill... but I’m thinking of taking Most of it out. Did yours come up easy or was it difficult? Mines temperamental as h-e- double hockey stix

1 - 20 of 41 Posts