MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I'm just wandering where I can gat a carbon fiber sunroof for MR2...I know that a guy here did one before...

Maybe it's time for another group buy???

Thanks alot...
Alex

·
Registered
487 Posts
That could be one of the easiest things to make from CF. you get an existing glass surface to start with anyway, so all you'd need to do is make sure to apply PVA and mold release, lay on a few layers of CF and resin, and either let it cure or put it in a vacuum bag. Once done trim it and put it in place of the glass while keeping the seals and locking mechanism.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I know that this is pretty easy, but I really want a professionaly done sunroof! Nobody could make a bunch of 5-10 sunroof and then do a group buy...

Thanks alot,
Alex
:p

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
talk to KD garage (i believe) thats making those CF t-tops. sunroofs are just as common of an option for the car, and people want those too i'm sure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've emailed KD Garage about the t-tops but..

I have some extra glass t-tops at home and have been thinking for a long time how nice it would be to pull out the glass and replace it with carbon fiber. Anyone have any experience with this? Would it be difficult?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone of you receided a email frod KD garage? I send him a email yesterday and no reply...

Anyone else for a carbon sunfoof?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I sent an email last week and no reply...patience is a virtue :)

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
GrdStorm - bumping after 20 minutes - not necessary, and you're old enough to know better (at least in board time).

Gloomy - you're new - but I suggest you read the rules you supposedly agreed to when you originally signed up; ttt's fall under the same category. Unread posts are in bold, so people will know if there has been an additional post since they read it.

Both posts are now history.

Anyway - removing the sunroof glass from the frame?? It can be done. It takes a sharp putty knife and a hammer - and you will destroy the glass and the gasket. It is glued in to the frame with some black window sealer material and then gasketed. I removed mine from the race car and replaced it with .060" aluminum sheet.

·
Registered
714 Posts
:bsflag:
ITA-MR2 said:
GrdStorm - bumping after 20 minutes - not necessary, and you're old enough to know better (at least in board time).

Gloomy - you're new - but I suggest you read the rules you supposedly agreed to when you originally signed up; ttt's fall under the same category. Unread posts are in bold, so people will know if there has been an additional post since they read it.

Both posts are now history.

Anyway - removing the sunroof glass from the frame?? It can be done. It takes a sharp putty knife and a hammer - and you will destroy the glass and the gasket. It is glued in to the frame with some black window sealer material and then gasketed. I removed mine from the race car and replaced it with .060" aluminum sheet.

:bsflag: :bsflag: :bsflag: Huh? I'm a bit confused. I bumped it to show my support for the product. Its also not like I am blocking anyone else's post from being viewed, this board isnt that crowded.

Sorry I didn't read the *rules* in depth. I hope mods don't take offense to this and I would like to keep my posting privileges however I your comments are pretty ridiculous and anal(or however you spell it). Maybe next time my post will come out something like this:

"oh great, I love this product, full support from me!!!"

c'mon now everyone here is just trying to have friendly discussions about the Mk1. Chill Out dude.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Had you phrased it that way, your post would have remained.

·
Registered
816 Posts
not trying to hijack or anything, just a quick reply please. Does anyone have a good link on how to make your own CF stuff? I haven't had much luck searching. A sunroof seems like it would be a good thing to start off as for a first cf project.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
theres lots of info in the composite materials forum

·
Burbank's fastest AW11
14,473 Posts
Ken from KD Garage is a pretty busy person. He's in the middle of 10+ projects. The CF T-tops are really nice and I would get one if I was a fan of CF for my MKI. But nonetheless, Ken makes real quality products. Be paitient, he'll respond. He does have a life he shares with his wife and kid.

Peace-

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys! Ken from KD garage just send me a email, maybe it could help you...

Yes I do have some carbon parts for sale.

Carbon trunk ..........................................................$285.00

Carbon Engine for SC or NA .......................................$325.00

Carbon T-top .........................................................$275.00

half Carbon buddy Club .............................................$265.00

plus shipping cost.

He accept paypal, just send him a email!

Alex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts