MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car spits black carbon out the exhaust pipes, and if I sit and let it idle for a while it will actually make two little black spots on the parking lot or driveway where the carbon is accumulating. I'm guessing it's incomplete combustion byproducts or something, does this happen to everyone without catalytic converters? My setup: apex intake, ct27 kit, tko dp, tko 3''. note: still waiting on rom tuned ECU to arrive, so I'm running stock ECU for now. stock boost.

should I be concerned about carbon buildup on valves and such? Car seems to run great, pulls very hard.
any suggestions greatly appreciated.
~Bruce

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
well what happens when your hands are black with dirt and you wash them? black crap comes off.

its normal. overnight condensation exits the carbon on the inside walls of the exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
boyracer420 said:
My car spits black carbon out the exhaust pipes, and if I sit and let it idle for a while it will actually make two little black spots on the parking lot or driveway where the carbon is accumulating. I'm guessing it's incomplete combustion byproducts or something, does this happen to everyone without catalytic converters? My setup: apex intake, ct27 kit, tko dp, tko 3''. note: still waiting on rom tuned ECU to arrive, so I'm running stock ECU for now. stock boost.

should I be concerned about carbon buildup on valves and such? Car seems to run great, pulls very hard.
any suggestions greatly appreciated.
~Bruce

Perfectly normal.

The droplets are condensate created by the cold exhaust system, and they are coated with unburnewd hydrocarbon casued by the very rich mixture programmed for a cold engine.

bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts