MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
wow... my full interior 85 mk1.5 is 2569 with a full tank (minus 10 feet of driving) + me (170) + helmet and race gear...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not exactly news.... we weighed the '95 Turbo in Atlanta last March. 2828 on Atlanta region's scales all ready to run B-stock trim (actually this was in ProSolo Impound, so we already ran). T's out, little gas, Millenia/Kosei wheels, straight pipe, etc.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sam Strano said:
Not exactly news.... we weighed the '95 Turbo in Atlanta last March. 2828 on Atlanta region's scales all ready to run B-stock trim (actually this was in ProSolo Impound, so we already ran). T's out, little gas, Millenia/Kosei wheels, straight pipe, etc.
Sam, I'm curious on how much you think the LSD is beneficial in the car? IE, what if you could get rid 180 lbs from the car? Worth it to ditch the LSD?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it's not news, I saw people post here their data. I was just curious about my particular car numbers aligning with others. so you got to 2828 wich is where I expected mine to be as wel (same wheels here)l. Good consistency ;)

Sam Strano said:

·
Registered
324 Posts
PseudoRealityX said:
IE, what if you could get rid 180 lbs from the car? Worth it to ditch the LSD?
Are you saying that the LSD weighs 180 Lbs more than the open differential? How can that be? Does it use mercury for lubrication?

Or is this a package-swap question? I think I was around when Randy N. was asked about the LSD on the Turbo and he didn't say complimentary things about it. So if you could drop 180 Lbs by giving up the LSD, it might be worth it. It may depend on how much freedom you have in tuning the suspension to prevent wheelspin. Are you talking stock, or some class where you can change springs?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well, it's not just the different tranny. Synder's MR2 is completely fully optioned out. T-tops, leather, P/S, A/C, etc. Carter's old '91 turbo hardtop was almost fully stripped, though still currently has A/C, but it'd be legal to remove that as well, as it was a stand alone option.

And yeah John, I'm talking about B-stock. With the tire restrictions for both early and late MR2s (14s or 15s, same width between years) only able to goto a 225 rear, the lighter the car, the better IMO, when compared with some of the heavier BS cars that can use as much as 275 or 285 tires.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
In 93, LSD was an independent option, so you could remove anything else that was an option and leave the LSD and remain legal for stock class, AFAIK. Did it become part of a package in 94 ?

John

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The '91 still currently has a nice gearing advantage with the ability to use the 225/50/14 in the rear. Especially nice since Nationals is supposed to be getting slower than in past years. Also helps since the MR2 isn't one of the more powerful BS cars...having a gearing and height advantage is nice....as is all that camber.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If you put any weight in my opinion, Jesse, I'm sure a light '91 can be faster than a
relative tank like Mike's '95. I think my car ( 2680, '91T ) was just about even with Mike's at
the Peru Tour last year... and I was on S04s versus their V710s. I was .9 off Sam on Sunday, and I'm usually .6 off Jeff when he
drives my car. .3 doesn't account for the difference between the tires *and* the
difference between me and Sam as drivers.

Not great data, but just about nobody is running them in B Stock,
so it's all we've got.

That said, the only options that I can remove from my '91T, that
Mike must keep on his '95T ( or a '93T, there's no difference ) are cruise, power package,
and air. That's about 80 pounds, not 180.

You could build a Turbo w/ LSD at around 2730, and it'd be a beast.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is NO WAY I'd run a non-LSD car if given the choice. None, nada.... ain't happening. The diff allowed power to get down to the ground. Not so tight to make the car push either. I could feel it working, even with the ST bar on full stiff. Now, not everyone is aggressive with the throttle as I am, and that's where my speed largely comes from. I don't get beaten back to the gas very often. A few years back in what is now Jesse's car, I was torching the RR tire at an event. Lee and Doug had no wheelspin at all. Might account for the .6 faster I was, and it would have been more with less wheelspin. Remember I'm a pony-car guy. I know how important traction is, having had it and not. That's actually the very biggest reason the big front bars were a must to me. The second side benefit was stability in transitions, so I could flog the car a lot harder. :) But it started with the torquey, wheelspinnin' ES cars. :D

Peru is a terrible example of Mike's car's speed (and frankly I didn't drive very well). Anyone there can vouch for the James Bond-esque smoke screens, which was killing the power of the car. Later we found all we needed was a catch-can so oil pulled through the PCV didn't get back to the intake. That was happening and the car doesn't run so well on Redline 10/30 enhanced Gasoline... Also, we were still tweaking the car and it did change by the time I got to the Pro Finale. Where it was fast, I just couldn't shake the cone-itis. :(

I truly think Mike's car can win. A lighter version would be even better.... I'm not a small guy, (about 280). Put a 180 guy in the car who can drive and it'll be plenty fast. Build a '93 that is 50-100 lbs. lighter and it's even faster yet.

I've run LSD cars and non-LSD cars. Heavy ones (like Mike's) and lightweight ones like Carter's (actually Carter and Jim's car when Jim did and Evo school). The light cars are quick. But the wheelspin was horrible.... Mike wanted a '95. I'd have been happy with a '93. But it's his money, his choice. ;) A middle-of-the road car on weight w/LSD and ABS would be sweet.

I like MR2's, I drive them pretty well. I wish I was a smaller guy. I'd love to try it again with even 100 less pounds.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
and frankly I didn't drive very well
You sandbagger! When I asked you, you said your last run was about all
the car had ;)

For those who weren't there, Sam, GH, Andy, and Carter were all on the same
tenth Sunday... half a second clear of everyone else.

We really need more data, though, and that means more cars. I'm going to remove
one variable by actually running competitive tires next year, but some other
people need to start coming out, too.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
hillman said:
That said, the only options that I can remove from my '91T, that
Mike must keep on his '95T ( or a '93T, there's no difference ) are cruise, power package,
and air. That's about 80 pounds, not 180.

You could build a Turbo w/ LSD at around 2730, and it'd be a beast.
how heavy is the passenger air bag the 95 has? not another 100 lbs. but its something. that was the first thing i noticed when i sat in mike's car. there was an air bag where mine didn't have one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, frustration plays in and I was frustrated to say the least..... I tend to be hard on myself above all else, while the car was really dying with the oil-sucking problem. In the end, I was just pissed and probably blurted before thinking....

However, when it comes down to a tenth or so on a course, I get really upset when I can't find it...despite the car. :)

At the time, I don't think I could have gone any faster. In retrospect, I think I might have been able to get a bit more (a tenth or two) out of the car depsite the oil trouble. I have to believe I can always go faster, or I get lazy. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts