MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2 about 4months ago and it had been having wandering problem at 60mph+ since I bought it. Last week I took it to a shop and had the alignment done. After that it was good for about 3days and the wandering seems getting worse and worse. My suspension setup is KYB AGX shruts, Eibach Prokit springs, TRD front & rear sway bars, Enkei RP02 17" wheels w/Proxes FZ4 tires. Also I was told by the shop that the left rear ball joint is worn slightly. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I also experienced that problem. I did a complete suspension/brake sytem changes including brand new tie rod and ball joints. Before I had it aligned, the steering wheel was not straight and the car wonders. I took it to the shop for an alignment. It was good for a week but now the car tends to pull to the right when I removed my hand from the steering wheel. Furtheremore, the steering wheel seems to "dance" while I have my both hands on it. Its like it moves on its therefore the front end goes with it.

I Have a 91T with 94+ suspension system with Tein HA

Anybody can give us some info on this?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've also experienced this, although I've seen it happen a lot more often when the tire pressures are uneven and/or are worn down in an uneven way which also tends to be going back to square one of the suspension being the prob.... :S

just one more thing to keep in mind I'd say.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
lemoncake said:
I bought my 2 about 4months ago and it had been having wandering problem at 60mph+ since I bought it. Last week I took it to a shop and had the alignment done. After that it was good for about 3days and the wandering seems getting worse and worse. My suspension setup is KYB AGX shruts, Eibach Prokit springs, TRD front & rear sway bars, Enkei RP02 17" wheels w/Proxes FZ4 tires. Also I was told by the shop that the left rear ball joint is worn slightly. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Fix the rear ball joint. ;)
Any play in the suspension can cause the wheel to move side to side and possibly cause what you are experiencing.

Also, depending on your alignment, MR2s tend to grab the lines in the freeway pretty easily. This can cause a wandering feeling that you associate with high speeds, but is really associated with surface conditions.

toymr1 said:
I also experienced that problem. I did a complete suspension/brake sytem changes including brand new tie rod and ball joints. Before I had it aligned, the steering wheel was not straight and the car wonders. I took it to the shop for an alignment. It was good for a week but now the car tends to pull to the right when I removed my hand from the steering wheel. Furtheremore, the steering wheel seems to "dance" while I have my both hands on it. Its like it moves on its therefore the front end goes with it.
Check tire pressures like ayaxr said. Steering wheel vibration is normally caused by one of the front tires being out of balance.

Both of you: just take it back to the shop that aligned it and have them look at it again.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made an appointment to have the shop check out the problem for me next Wednesday. I'll let you guys know after that.

I got some hubcentric rings from leswab for $2.5 including installation. :) It only eliminated the steering wheel vibration but didn't fix the wandering.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
rnoll98,

I just want to clarify that the steering whell does not vibrate at all. It tends to move side to side but its hardly noticeable. I have my both hand on it and I can tell "like it dances" side to side and if I removed my hands the car definitely verge to the right.

I am going to take it back to the shop like you said.

Thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread but.
what are hubcentric rings and how do they help out?

I might know what it is, but prob not the tech name, else...hey you learn something new everyday :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts