MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finally completed the engine work i was doing over winter. I had the cams sent out for the 294 grind. I put the cams back in paying strict attention to putting it back in time. I also changed the timing belt and everything looked perfect. I did a tune up, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The car turns on and runs but at first it would stall. After running for a while it started to idol ok. I adjusted the distributor a little and that helped. I was able to take it for a test drive. I didnt seem right. Sluggish when i hit the gas but then would wake up and go. Idol would dip to below 500 rpm then level out. I tried looking for something that maybe i didnt plug in or something. I cant find anything. I tried the diagnostic but it comes up ok by just flashing the engine light. Could the timing be off and cause this. I dont think it would run at all. Any help would be great, im out of ideas

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. The car ran great last year. I only touched the cams, timing belt and tune up. Ill try to turn up the idol so incan check the timing. It seems mechanical since it doesn't bring up a code. Plus i could smell the unburned fuel out the exhaust

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Leave the idle screw, the ECU should be able to control it properly. Cleaning the valve will most likely be the issue. They never get cleaned and fill up with dirt and get stuck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the operation of the cold start valve. Its out when cold then moves in with vacuum when warm. I messed with the distributor and advanced the timing till it ran better. I have it all the way advanced and its better but still a bit rough. Once the engine is hot it seems to idle better but not as good as it should be. I will get a timing light and check the timing. That should also show if my timing belt is off a tooth too

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could my camshaft pully be a hair off to the crank. Like maybe im a tooth off or something like that. Since advancing the timing all the way helps. I read that that could cause it to run crappy

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I checked the operation of the cold start valve. Its out when cold then moves in with vacuum when warm. I messed with the distributor and advanced the timing till it ran better. I have it all the way advanced and its better but still a bit rough. Once the engine is hot it seems to idle better but not as good as it should be. I will get a timing light and check the timing. That should also show if my timing belt is off a tooth too
Which valve are you talking about? I don't recall anything like this on the 3S or 5S engines. Can you show me what you mean?
The one I am talking about is under the throttle body and you shouldn't be able to see it move as it's an internal valve.
GEN2 3SGE Throttle body.jpg

GEN2 3SGE IACV.jpg

The timing could be out if the belt wasn't put back on properly. The crank shaft and pulleys can't come out of alignment unless the locating key is damaged or missing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Which valve are you talking about? I don't recall anything like this on the 3S or 5S engines. Can you show me what you mean?
The one I am talking about is under the throttle body and you shouldn't be able to see it move as it's an internal valve.
View attachment 70645

View attachment 70644

The timing could be out if the belt wasn't put back on properly. The crank shaft and pulleys can't come out of alignment unless the locating key is damaged or missing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought you meant this vacuum actuated valve. What valve it that in the pic that your talking about

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ill check it out too. Im going to get a timing light tomorrow and check it. If my cam is out by a hair it should show up when i try to time it. I kinda did a lot of work all at once so ill going to double check my work. Its hard to see the cam timing mark to make sure its in the right position to the crank. I took my time and triple checked but maybe something didnt go right. I just read on another post that if the timing belt is off a tooth it runs but like crap. Thats what it seams like. It idles like crap and it hesitates when accelerating. Thats what i read happens.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If the engine was running fine before you did the work them it's probably something that was done during that.
Also wouldn't a different cam make the car run different and the ECU get a bit confused?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive read a lot about doing this cam upgrade. All ive read is that is is a bolt in and i haven't read anything about any issues with the ecu. I thought maybe that is it too. I will double check my work to rule that out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So wow what a difference a day makes and a clear head. I was ready to take the car apart and double check my work. I bought a timing light today and decided to check the ignition timing first. With the distributor all the way advanced it read about 12 or 13. I backed it off and put it right on 10 degrees. The car started idling better. I took it for a ride and it seemed ok. The more i drove the better it got. I think the ecu needed more time to learn the new cam setup. Brought it back and it starts up and turns on right to a good idol. Now that it runs good i can tell if it was worth it. The engine now makes power well past 5 grand unlike before. It is still a dog at cruising rpms but when you hit it it goes. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts