MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Car shut off after driving 5 10 seconds

270 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dijital357 
#1 · (Edited)
Before this my car ran great.
I started my car a couple of days ago and it sounded good, then when i started to take off i got aout 35 feet and i felt a sudden loss of power and the engine just faded out to a stop. The lights dimmed a little while it did this. After the car was dead, the lights were ok again. I tried to start it and I could hear the starter trying to turnover the car, but I hear no combustion, like it's not getting gas. I had a guy jump my car to see if it was the battery, but with a full charge nothing happened still. A couple friends are saying it may be either the fuel pump, or the rotor in the distributor. I wanted to get some good advice from someone who is very knowledgeable with MR2's. If you think you may know what is wrong with my car please let me know, I would love to be driving again. Thanks.
By the way, I read in another thread about "dizzy" what is that?

P.S. It is a 1992, NA, 5spd, with the 5S-FE engine.

#2 ·
I would probably start with the easiest stuff first. Have you taken out the battery, and had it tested? Confirm the condition of the battery one way or another. Verify spark by pull one of the plug wires out, holding it close to the exhaust manifold or some other piece of grounded metal. Is there arcing? Verify fuel. Get a fuel pressure tester and following instructions according to the BGB.

Put I wouldn't even bother with all that until I took the battery out and charged/load tested it.

#3 ·
Also try the wire harness on the drivers side under the coolant fill (in the engine compartment).... just grab it and shake the hell out of it. If you can start the car, then when its running grab the harness again and shake it. If the car dies and starts again, this is the problem. The coolant melts the wires on the harness causing a short and the car dies... this happened to me, and other ppl too...

#4 ·
the "dizzy" is your Distributor. generally refers to the Distributor Cap and Rotor assembly.

check all your fuses as a start. check relays next. then check to see if you are getting the three basic things needed for combustion: heat (spark from spark plugs), fuel and air.

some common spark related problems are: the distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires and the coil. a lot of people have been having problems lately with the coil getting wet since it is the winter/rainy season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.