MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for some reason the day after I hit 266,666 miles 馃槼 my car decides to act fking stupid. In the morning start my car high idle as normal, I go up my hill half warm and under light throttle it feels as if it just cuts either fuel or spark at random times and just loses all power. Super jerky and the car lights a CEL for around 6 seconds then disappears. Also, I've tried unplugging my tps to see if that was the issue. Made no difference. I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Registered
If the TPS checks out OK, I would try changing your fuel filter, and I would also verify the fuel pressure. That is a lot of miles on a fuel pump. davew7

Premium Member
... the car lights a CEL for around 6 seconds then disappears....
Well, what's the code that goes with it? That will probably tell you the problem. You read the codes by jumping T-E1 in the test connector and counting flashes. The codes are different for 85-86 and 87-89 cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
If the TPS checks out OK, I would try changing your fuel filter, and I would also verify the fuel pressure. That is a lot of miles on a fuel pump. davew7
Would this affect anything if the car is cold or not. After 15 minutes it goes away entirely.

Registered
If the car runs OK after reaching temp, you could be dealing with a sicky waxstat. You need higher idle speed and enrichment with a cold engine. I would remove the waxstat under the throttle body and soak it in carb cleaner. Verify that the hoses or connections to the waxstat are not plugged. If you have an air compressor try blowing them out with air. When the engine is up to temp, does it hesitate under hard acceleration. davew7

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If the car runs OK after reaching temp, you could be dealing with a sicky waxstat. You need higher idle speed and enrichment with a cold engine. I would remove the waxstat under the throttle body and soak it in carb cleaner. Verify that the hoses or connections to the waxstat are not plugged. If you have an air compressor try blowing them out with air. When the engine is up to temp, does it hesitate under hard acceleration. davew7
I hear you, but it feels like it's cutting spark even when under load. It's really bad... I had a code 2 for afm but I wouldn't imagine it cuts spark, maybe the fuel cut is that aggressive

Premium Member
I hear you, but it feels like it's cutting spark even when under load. It's really bad... I had a code 2 for afm but I wouldn't imagine it cuts spark, maybe the fuel cut is that aggressive
Fix the AFM. You are severely overthinking this problem. Don't worry about what it feels like or what you imagine until you deal with the known problem. No engine will run correctly without proper air measurement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Fix the AFM. You are severely overthinking this problem. Don't worry about what it feels like or what you imagine until you deal with the known problem. No engine will run correctly without proper air measurement.
So I replaced it. Nothing had changed the same issue is still there. This is the third afm to be in this car

Premium Member
Do you still have the AFM fault? Then keep looking. Either there is a wiring fault, or all of the AFMs are defective.

Registered
Here 1 in a 100 chance, but pull the plug to the AFM and check the wire that leads to ground with the multimeter. [probably a white with black trace wire] If you see any thing slightly more then zero, then check the actual grounding connection. If that is clean and tight, then check the joint where several ground wires are crimped together inside the harness. The splice joint may need to be re-crimped and soldered. davew7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts