MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new battery 1.5 years ago. Its a Optima yellow top battery. When I'm trying to start the car right now nothing happens it doesn't even crank but when I'm using a battery booster it will stat instantly. The battery still give 13.5Volts. Does anybody know where I have to start looking to fix this problem?

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's your electrical system, more than likely it's that battery. Most Optimas have excellent (free) exchange warranties, just take it back and swap it.

·
Registered
1989 mk1
1 Posts
do the dash lights turn on?

I had this happen to another car once and it was my ground cable. It had enough corrosion between the connector to the post and actual cable that it wouldn’t even light anything up. Cleaned up that spot and that was it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Recently I went to an MR2 meet where one of the members had a problem starting his car. We could not even jumpstart the car. The problem turned out to be a loose wire on the positive terminal of the battery. If you look at the main positive battery post connector and just by it, there is a 10 or 12mm bolt right on top of the positive battery post connector, the cable that attaches to that point needs to be well connected or your starter won't work. In the case of this car, the bolt was tight over the terminal Y connector, but the wire was coming loose out of its Y connector.

...Not sure this is the problem since your car starts when you use a battery booster though.... just one more thing to check.

·
Registered
1992 JDM RHD Turbo T-Top All Stock
64 Posts
definitely worth checking the grounds and testing with another known-to-be-good battery.

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
do the dash lights turn on?

I had this happen to another car once and it was my ground cable. It had enough corrosion between the connector to the post and actual cable that it wouldn’t even light anything up. Cleaned up that spot and that was it.
+1 on this. Get a battery terminal cleaner and really clean up the post and the connector. I've seen this happen on half a dozen different cars in my life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 on this. Get a battery terminal cleaner and really clean up the post and the connector. I've seen this happen on half a dozen different cars in my life.
Or just cut a piece of scotch brite pad to size to get in the terminals

Check negative cable to chassis connection.

Also a good time to check up on condition of tranny to chassis ground strap and connections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts