MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was doing a U turn and gave it a little extra gas to kick the back end out for fun. Right after the rear tires lost traction there was a relatively loud clunking noise from somewhere in the rear(sounded like maybe metal snapping or something similar). Drove about 200 feet after that, stopped at a light and when i went to go leave from the light it made a similar but slightly different clunking noise and lurched. I limped it home after this. It seems to happen when I'm starting from a stop and sometimes randomly simply while in gear and driving. If i am very slow and carefull with the clutch I can stop it from happening when I'm starting from a stop, but there seems to be no way to avoid it while just coasting in gear, it happens randomly and will stop if I put the clutch in but then will randomly occur within a few minutes of me releasing the clutch. Please give me any info you have, I need the car to get to work on Tuesday and I have absolutely no clue what is going on. I jacked it up and there isn't anything obviously broken underneath or in the engine bay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you are being extremely rough with your car. Possibly a loose suspension component or damaged ball joint.
It has absolutely nothing to do with suspension, it is directly related to my drive train and does not happen when the clutch is in or while its in neutral. My best guess right now is a blown dif as the wheels are not spinning properly when the car is jacked and i rotate one. There seems to be a stiff spot in every rotation and when I get to the stiff stop I can either grab the other wheel and force it past or if I do nothing the other wheel begins to spin in the same direction(its on open dif so should be spinning in opposite directions)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Always hard to know exactly what is going on but it's great you've done some more testing to try figure it out.
If it is an open diff that sounds really odd. Like you'd expected, wheel rotation should be smooth and the opposite wheel should always spin in the opposite direction.

Maybe drop the oil and check if there is any metal there that shouldn't be. The gearbox does have a magnet to catch small stuff but might not get it all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clarifying. Always hard to know exactly what is going on but it's great you've done some more testing to try figure it out.
If it is an open diff that sounds really odd. Like you'd expected, wheel rotation should be smooth and the opposite wheel should always spin in the opposite direction.

Maybe drop the oil and check if there is any metal there that shouldn't be. The gearbox does have a magnet to catch small stuff but might not get it all.
Thanks for the suggestion drain it tomorrow and what comes out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts