MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
20v Super Two
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in a Wendy's drivethrough, it was about 50 degrees out, and I noticed that the idle was fluctuating between 1,200 and 1,500 - very jerky too, it wasn't a bounce. I didn't think anything of it. We pulled out a few minutes later and as soon as I hit the road the car went dead. I kept it in gear for a second to see if it would start again, and it made some sputtering sounds - no luck though.

Pulled over, tried to crank it, and it wasn't even sputtering. We let it sit for a minute, tried again and it shot to life, but died after only a second. We let it sit for about 5 minutes, started it up, and drove it home about 20 minutes - no problems.

The only strange thing is that the idle is now 400 to 500 rpms lower than it used to be. That's not really a problem, as the car was idling at 1,500 constantly for about 3 months, it's just strange that now all of a sudden it's at 1,000 to 1,100.

·
20v Super Two
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, car did it again yesterday. In gear at 40mph, the car bucked and shaked for a few seconds and the tach bounced between 3 and 4 k, then the car just died - still in gear. Trying to pop start it while I was still moving didn't do anything, and when I was cranking it didn't do anything, not even a sputter. I had to sit for 20 minutes - then it started right up and ran fine - no problems in 70 miles since.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Loose wiring in the ignitor or coil?? Also a while back mine died for no reason on my way home from work and it was the distributor rotor that was covered in carbon deposits and dirt (???) and it wouldn't get any spark to the plugs. I cleaned it out and it fired right up. A day and $100 later... :mad:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
i would replace your ignitor or coil if you haven't since you've owned the car.... they are rather inexpensive 35 bucks or so.... see if that helps...

if you have the chiltons or haynes manual, check out the afm make sure everything is up to spec... make sure the plug is connected correctly... etc...

~mikeym

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.