MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Finally running!!
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I hate making long threads but here goes. I bought my 91 mr2 turbo close to about 6 months ago as a shell car I have worked all summer and now winter to get this car running and saving money. my current work done to the car is as stands.

a .020 bore on the block due to past owner running a T78 on the stock block
JE pistons stock rods
ATS valvesprings
ferrea valves bored as well
a stage 2 port (any higher and it wouldn't be very streetable just to give a feel to yall of what kind it is)
engine balanced
stock cams
ATS adjustable cam gears
stock turbo and intercooler
stock ecu
Fidanza flywheel just ordered and I'm gonna be ordering a clutch in prob two weeks.
ARP headstuds
TTE headgasket

It has truly been quite the long road I am experiencing with my mr2 and I wish my car was running so I'm gonna ask mr2oc the community I have grown to be a part of for advice.I have paid for all my work, found all my parts, done all the research, and did not assemble the block and head but joined the two and bolted torqued everything onto it myself I have had fun and learned more then I could ever imagine from this build. I want to take it easy from this point on and not upgrade the turbo, fuel system, or transmission but I'm proud of the work I am doing especially at the age of 19!! No mommy and daddy paying for my car story here this is all me and a $9 hour job while going to a community college. I think since the road has been so long I am getting eager to drive the car I have put so much effort in. I am looking into buying a ko exhaust and a nemesis II as my last big buys and calling it a day for the power making mods. I have heard the ct26 is not the greatest, I have heard 91 trannys are bad. I want to build my car right so is there more to be done guys can I put my engine in my car now or is there something I'm missing I don't wanna be the guy who stopped climbing right before he reached the peak or can I finally move onto something simple like what springs/struts to get or do these floormats look good threads. If this is confusing for you guys just imagine what its been doing to me for 6 months.

cliff notes: 19 year old very confused building a 91 turbo for 6 months wants to stop buying power making parts and wants to assemble his car and drive it but does not want to forget something that could make his car never see it's full peak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
Blaze-65 said:
Alright well I hate making long threads but here goes. I bought my 91 mr2 turbo close to about 6 months ago as a shell car I have worked all summer and now winter to get this car running and saving money. my current work done to the car is as stands.

a .020 bore on the block due to past owner running a T78 on the stock block
JE pistons stock rods
ATS valvesprings
ferrea valves bored as well
a stage 2 port (any higher and it wouldn't be very streetable just to give a feel to yall of what kind it is)
engine balanced
stock cams
ATS adjustable cam gears
stock turbo and intercooler
stock ecu
Fidanza flywheel just ordered and I'm gonna be ordering a clutch in prob two weeks.
ARP headstuds
TTE headgasket

It has truly been quite the long road I am experiencing with my mr2 and I wish my car was running so I'm gonna ask mr2oc the community I have grown to be a part of for advice.I have paid for all my work, found all my parts, done all the research, and did not assemble the block and head but joined the two and bolted torqued everything onto it myself I have had fun and learned more then I could ever imagine from this build. I want to take it easy from this point on and not upgrade the turbo, fuel system, or transmission but I'm proud of the work I am doing especially at the age of 19!! No mommy and daddy paying for my car story here this is all me and a $9 hour job while going to a community college. I think since the road has been so long I am getting eager to drive the car I have put so much effort in. I am looking into buying a ko exhaust and a nemesis II as my last big buys and calling it a day for the power making mods. I have heard the ct26 is not the greatest, I have heard 91 trannys are bad. I want to build my car right so is there more to be done guys can I put my engine in my car now or is there something I'm missing I don't wanna be the guy who stopped climbing right before he reached the peak or can I finally move onto something simple like what springs/struts to get or do these floormats look good threads. If this is confusing for you guys just imagine what its been doing to me for 6 months.

cliff notes: 19 year old very confused building a 91 turbo for 6 months wants to stop buying power making parts and wants to assemble his car and drive it but does not want to forget something that could make his car never see it's full peak.

What was the point in doing all those mods, which most of are just supporting mods. If your not gonan upgrade the turbo? The head workd, oversized valves wil help a littleb ut, semms likea big waste of money to just put the ______ ct-26 or even ct-27 on there. Get a TD06 kit at least man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
I think you are on the right path, you are building the car to make more power but are going for a reliable setup thats in your budget. You can always upgrade the turbo, fuel system, and switch to an EMS later on when you have more money to spend on the car. The 91 transaxle should work fine for you for the time being, as long as you get a good one and don't abuse it you won't have any problems and it can be upgraded later without loosing alot of money or time.
 

·
Finally running!!
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sleeperneon676 said:
What was the point in doing all those mods, which most of are just supporting mods. If your not gonan upgrade the turbo? The head workd, oversized valves wil help a littleb ut, semms likea big waste of money to just put the ______ ct-26 or even ct-27 on there. Get a TD06 kit at least man.
bought the motor in peices along with car so forced to rebuild I know what I wanted but can't do it all at 19 making $9 an hour in college. will upgrade turbo one day or maybe at least a ct20b but I would really like to drive the car ... and yes I know my engine can now handle and spool a bigger turbo quicker a more responsive motor I didn't just pick things to do with my eyes closed and a dart lol but still any kinda of critiquing is much appreciated I just want others thoughts on all this just because I want to drive my car so much I beleive me wanting to slow down is a biased decision due to the fact I'm running out of steam (and money lol). I go to autox (to watch) all the time, I watch BMI way too much I work on others cars for fun (sometimes fun that is) and I drive a 96 jetta to get me around I have gone 6 months going straight to work and school and working on my car in the free time I have. I have never driven the car I have put so much time and effort in and just needed to know what others thought
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
If you really wanna drive it, put the stock ECU and fuel system back on and run the stock turbo for a while. When you get tired of it, upgrade to a much larger one +fuel / EMS. A big power setup can easily be daily driver reliable if its built right. My car will be built to handle over 600RWHP, and about 90% of the time it will be at 55% of that capacity, 4% of the time it will be at about 65% capacity, and that one percent left over will be the times I find some race gas and go to the strip / dyno meets and tr to push it to about 90%+.

Good luck! Congrats on the nice build!
 

·
I aint afraid of no boost
Joined
·
4,550 Posts
Po' Kid said:
If you really wanna drive it, put the stock ECU and fuel system back on and run the stock turbo for a while. When you get tired of it, upgrade to a much larger one +fuel / EMS. A big power setup can easily be daily driver reliable if its built right. My car will be built to handle over 600RWHP, and about 90% of the time it will be at 55% of that capacity, 4% of the time it will be at about 65% capacity, and that one percent left over will be the times I find some race gas and go to the strip / dyno meets and tr to push it to about 90%+.

Good luck! Congrats on the nice build!
Yeppers! Put the stock ECU and fuel system back in there, and DRIVE the car. Enjoy it for a while.
 

·
Finally running!!
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MR2liter said:
should have kept the t78.
wish I had the pic of what that t78 did to the motor it's the reason I bored it and have new pistons .... but thanks for the feedback guys went to autox this weekend and rode in two mr2's they are so fun I can't wait till I finally get mine up ... oh yeah and this is my first official post as gold!!! :thumbup
 

·
MK. II RACING
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Looks as if you are taking the SAFE route! Great choice, since that is the route I intend to take. MY 2psi, put the "stock" parts on and ENJOY the MR2. Learn to drive the mid-engine set up you have. For, each time you mod something (engine OR suspension) the characteristics of the MR2 WILL change. Sounds like you have really done your research, so it should pay off for you now and down the road. I agree with others on the turbo kit! A nice TD06 kit (like from ATS) or T3T4 (like the street brawler kits from KO Racing) would be fantastic on your engine with supporting fuel and EMS. Looks like you will have one NICE MR2. With that in mind... lets see some pics!

Daniel :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Po' Kid said:
... about 90% of the time it will be at 55% of that capacity, 4% of the time it will be at about 65% capacity, and that one percent left over will be the times I find some race gas and go to the strip / dyno meets and tr to push it to about 90%+.
you still seem to be missing about 5% of time. (just playfully picking, dude, i couldn't resist.) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
on a serious, on-topic note:
Blaze-65, i, too, recommend just putting the car together with the stock ECU and fuel and driving. if you're level-headed and mature enough to be this concerned with the safety of your hard-earned (good job, by the way) investments, then i will go out on a limb and say i have faith that you won't be dumb when driving and try taking shortcuts when you feel the pangs of desire for more. you've been patient thus far and i think you will continue to as you build, but for now ... just drive, man. :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top