MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I decide to go ahead and rekey the 94+ lock cylinder($50!)because I'm doing the 94+ tail light conversion. Turns out the 94+ lock cylinder is missing an extra slot that my 91 cylinder uses. I can see where the slot should be, but it's not there. What happened??? And during the pulling the pins out process, the old 91 pins got a little stubborn and I pulled too hard(hitting the table), causing me to mess up the 94+ pins that I already pulled out and laid neatly on the table. So it was a headache to get the 94+ pins to get flush again(but now the key won't turn!). Can the pins be flush and key still not turn??? Since the 91 and 94 lock cylinder have different slot #s(91 has more pins and more slots), I just returned everything to normal.

I will probably use the 94+ cylinder, just relying on the trunk release lever(for now).

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Give everything to a locksmith and pay him $10.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Sounds to me like you mixed up one of the pins (or maybe more). Aren't there 8 pins on each one (or maybe 9)? It's been a while since I did this with mine. Lay the pins out carefully again in the order you think they go. Load one in, check the key. Load the next one in, check again. You will quickly find if you have mixed any of them up. Sometimes the pins are too old to turn reliably, you can remove any like that but less pins = less secure (though most crooks don't break in be aligning the pins either...).

-G-

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went down to the locksmith and he just put in new pins into the 94+ lock cylinder that worked with my 91 key. He said I didn't really need that extra pin that my 91 had... I'm not going to complain because it works!

But now another ? Is the new cylinder suppose to be flush against the panel? Mine's not... I have a couple millimeters of space in between.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have a feeling the reverse lights are still in the way. I'm planning to cut the metal to fit the reverse lights and fiberglassing the holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts