MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I'm attempting to bring a 91 hardtop back from the dead and have run across a problem, on the cancer bars there are bolts that secure them to the bottom of the cab.....on one of mine the nut inside the car has broken free and the other hangs up after about 4 turns. If anybody has any ideas to help me out here that would be great. My current thought make access through the inside of the cab but I just need to figure out where

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the sticking one, I would spray some penetrating oil on the threads and just work it back and forth until it either comes out or brakes the nut off. Then if it comes out run a tap through it to make sure it is good. For the other one, I would pull back the rear interior to see if you can see it because it might be inside of a cavity in the chassis which won't help you. Another option would be to cut a hole to the side of it. Just big enough to pull the old nut out and then slip a wrench/new nut in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I ended up using a 2" hole saw on the inside of the cab about 1" from the center hump and 2" from the floor, got replacement nuts and a couple good sized washers. I welded the nut to the washer and welded that to the car. Seems to work. I ended up doing both sides. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts