MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which engine is best

Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a 91 na mr2 and I'm goning to need more power out of this car, at first I thought it would be best to try and tune the 5sfe engine that is in it and go from there, but that looks like it may be a problem, this motor is just not made for power. My next choice was to put the 3sgte motor and trans in it and go from there. But now I'm thinking it might be best to put in the 3sge engine and trans in and tune from there. I even tought about putting the 3sge head on the 5sfe, but I would like to know how hard this really is. Also I was wondering if it would just be best to put the 3sge engine in and tune from there. I would like your advice

Thanks
BryceR

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
I agree. Fawk teh 3sgte lol. I've changed my mind after almost 4 years of turbo dreams. Now I have 1MZFE dreams. And it doesn't help that my girlfriends car is a 1MZFE powered Camry!!!

Too bad it's automatic though.... Or her engine might have mysteriously turned up missing one day. :devil:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It all depends on what kind of smog regulations you have, I wish my N/A had more power too, I can never get enough power, but I cannot do anything due to strict smog. Focus on tuning suspension brakes ect.. you will se the rue beauty of the mr2, and if you want straight line power just sell the car before you get too much money in it, and buy a honda civic that has cut suspension springs and a V-Tec.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
or a mustang 5.slow

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
just throw in a gsx-r engine.....j/k if your willing to tune the 5s it can be made pretty potent. 3sge is a good choice also. v6 is probabally the best NA you can get but you'll need custom parts and alot of mechanical know how. im all for NA so i won't even suggest THAT, you guys know what im talking about THAT MOTOR.....

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Well if guys correct me if i am wrong but the 5sfe from the 93 years have the proper cooling ports to bolt up to the 3sgte head. Sooooo if you get a 93 5sfe the head and bolting stuff will work out better. But V6 is best n/a application and 3rd gen is best turbo. If you are going second gen the 93 has a better transmission than the 91-92 and you can get it with a LSD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts