MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can the MK1 be used for offroading? (56k = No rallying)

Just a quick question before i go out and do something that might mess up my car.
I have a stock 86 N/A, and i just found out that there are a couple of back roads about a half an hour where i live. When im bored out of my mind, my friend and I will have something to do during the day.

Edit: I might do some drfting, as they have large turning areas, and id be going around 40mph, whats ur thoughs on doing this....

Can the MK1 go offroads? And NOTHING like mudding, or flying off a huge mound. something like these:

Editted for some kind of picture limit

Yay :evillaugh, or Nay :(

Edit 2
Just got back, awesome time...
Where the road began

Throwing around some dirt

Yes, I did do one 360

______________More Pictures Below______________

And if anyone in or near the Daytona Beach area want to know where this area is, email me..

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
yeah... but your gonna f up your paint... and dirty the hell out of your air filter.

I had to go on a field project out in the Basin & Range region on the east side of the high Sierras.

I unkowningly had to drive on "roads" worse than picutred... very rocky and dusty.

The MR2 did fine, but I had to watch for big rocks as ground clearance is an obvious issue.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well if it does nothing other then mess with the paint (which im planing on painting later on), and the air filter (which can easily be replaced) thats all.

Fun time up ahead :evillaugh

Awesome

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
yes it can! god yes it can!

you havent lived until you've driven an mk1 very fast through gravel. it does surprisingly well! i was climbing pretty steep gravel hills, and just mashing around with my friend in his raised 4wd bronco.. he was surprised how well i did!

i hate "drifting".. but something about going 50mph+ sideways down a gravel road is just fantastic.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If my car wasn't lowered I'd do it!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
if i recall incorrectly, the mr2 was specifically designed for these roads in mind

just rejoice that you have such soft roads

gravel + sideways = sidewall puncturing rocks

·
Registered
114 Posts
MR2's have done REALLY well in rallying over the years, and infact, my car is being built into a stage-rally prepped racecar at the moment :).

Blast away, it's a good way to learn about your car :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
If your MR2 looked like this one you'd have even better luck :D

MR + 4WD + 500bhp = SEXY!!!

I agree with the rest. Go for it! I would if I didn't love me paint job so much :) I rally-cross my other cars all the time.

I still think a MK1 hardtop would be the perfect Group 2 car. It matches all requirements, but it would kick the crap out of the Gulfs that dominate it now.

-Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
There used to be a member of the board, his handle was Prorallyemr2 or similar, and he rallye prepped and raced his MR2 professionally in the SCCA. If I remember correctly, he and his wife were nuts for anything Rallye.

Alas, he sold his car, which was an unbelievable machine, last year and I don't think he's been on the board in a while.

I think I might have pix of his ride on my computer, I'll look.

So, offroading in a MR2 is definately possible, but if you want to get serious try finding a rallye club in your area and try it out. I'll warn you though, rallye is BRUTAL on your car. If you go off the road or miscalculate you could utterly destroy your ride. Think about it very seriously before you start rallying or just offroading on your own.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Yea, remember that red MK1 with the red MK1 trailer. That guy had another MR2 that he off-road/rally. He actually raised his car with blocks or taller than stock springs. I think his name was Adam and he was from around Mass.

Todd

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I don't get it.. where's the offroading?

Those look like regular roads to me...

I guess it's different down south than it is up here

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
these were dirt paths with soft dirt and small bumps, I guess its not offroading to you, but it was fun for me and my roommate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts