MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this seems to be where all the smart people hang out so i will pose my question here. i have been reading about deck height and there seems to be several definitions of this term. from website to website they seem to be saying different things. they may very well all be saying the same thing and i am just missing the point all together (it wouldnt be the first time).

i am under the impression that the deck height has something to do with how tall the piston is relevant to the block. what made me think about it is i am building an engine for my civic (i know booooooo), it currently has a D15 but i wanted to build a D16. i originally thought the only difference was taller crank and rods. but i was reading where the deck height of the D15 is 207.45 and that of the D16 is 212. it would make sense for the deck height of the D16 to be smaller since the stroke is longer thus the squish zone tighter but it is the opposite thus i am reading something the wrong way. anyone want to clear the fog for me? thanks for your input.

v/r,
steven

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Deck height is the centerline of the crank to the top of the block deck. Pistons have a compression height (centerline of wrist pin to top of piston).

You can alter the stroke of the crank, the deck height of the block and the length of the rods as well as the compression height of the pistons to achieve whatever displacement numbers you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
If you look at the crank by the rotational axis the centerline is the line that goes straight through the center, as indicated by the red line below-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts