MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 92 and sold it in the summer of 05 and now I just recently bought a 93. I know they have differences, but I didn't know about the dual synchros. Can someone tell me what difference they make (smoother shifting?) and how they work as opposed to a single synchro? Also, is it safe to use a short shifter or will a short shifter prematurely wear any transmission out?

Thanks

·
MR Rules....
731 Posts
The trans was improved to extend the life of the syncros, and make shifting easier and no a short throw shifter will not wear your trans out any faster.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
i believe they just stack another synchronizer ring onto each gear. the first would slip a bit and bring the 2nd to speed, which brings the gear to speed.. instead of a single synchro slipping against a hardened gear to bring it up to speed.

.. i think ;) dont quote that as truth.. but its something like that. either way its just to extend transmission life.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
i believe they just stack another synchronizer ring onto each gear. the first would slip a bit and bring the 2nd to speed, which brings the gear to speed.. instead of a single synchro slipping against a hardened gear to bring it up to speed.

.. i think ;) dont quote that as truth.. but its something like that. either way its just to extend transmission life.
That's how I always interpreted it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts