MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your not suppost to use a wideband if you have an exhaust leak correct?

well i think i have a small leak on my exhaust manifold from one stud being broken off(using 6 out of 7)..anyways, can i still use a wideband even if i have a leak?

thanks

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
It's not exhaust leaking out that causes problems. It is fresh air leaking in that would throw the readings off.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see...so does that mean this would not give me good readings if i am leaking out of my exhaust mani?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would think it would depend on how bad your leak is. I suppose if it was severe enough it would cause air to come in, but I would not be suprised if a small exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold would be able to keep out static pressure (fresh air coming in) on top of that, there is a positive pressure differeintial on the exhaust, especially before the turbo that would prevent fresh air from blowing in. So i would imagine that unless the leak was fairly severe you would be ok. If it does throw it off some, it would show you running leaner than you actually are, indicating a rich tune, which should be safer than a lean tune. Personally i would spend the money getting the head bolt repaired, than on a wideband. For another frame of refererance, some dyno operators and emmision control testing facilites, just shove a wideband down a tailpipe to get a/f readings (although a little laggy) the reason this works is the positive pressure forcing any fresh air out of the pipes.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Exhaust gasses, especially upstream of the turbo, will pulsate between positive and negative pressures. If you have a leak at all, you are introducing fresh air into the exhaust. This is a reality you won't be able to escape. It's probably exacerbated off-boost, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens under load as well.

You don't want to play that "are my readings a result of this failure" game. Fix the leak, then use the wideband. Do not try to tune in its present condition!

Why would you accept crappy mileage and an inch of carbon buildup in your combustion chamber because you didn't want to fix a leak? Do it right!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Generally negative pressures are only present at no load, and even then they are marginally negative. Also the mr2 uses a twin-scroll turbocharger which negates a lot of the negative pressures. But like i said, unless the leak is significant, it should not be a problem. Most gen2 mr2s have exhaust manifold leaks, and many of those have been tuned fine. RAGARDLESS i still recommend the repair of the stud.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Well, I think we are in violent agreement, then. We agree he should fix it. Nobody knows how bad this leak is or if it is effecting the O2 sensor, but we do agree that he should fix it first.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes of course it should be fixed first, which i guess makes our arguement a mute point. An exhaust leak can reduce gas mileage and reduce the life of your o2 sensor, including the expensive wideband you may want to put in there, so get it right first, and then go from there. I find that shortcuts lead to more cost down the road, if not right away!

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well there is no way i can afford to fix it...i will have to drop my damn engine to get the stud out, and im at school in another state for the next year..plus this isnt my daily driver. i maybe drive it once a week +/-.

so ill prolly maybe put a couple thousand miles on it this year. im not to worried about it.

after i move back home, i gonna drop it, get all my _____ cleaned up and upgrade upgrade upgrade...ill do it then.

and honestly if i screw my head up, o well. just time to upgrade :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Why do you have to drop the engine to repair a stud? You shouldnt even need to remove the head. Worse case, you have to drill it out with a right angle drill and helicoil it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts