MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I haven't used them in the MR2, but I used one back in my small block chevy days. It worked great then (tried 2 other brands first). Crower had a real reputation for getting more power out of the same advertised duration (at .050" lift) as other brands.

·
Registered
103 Posts
when messin' around with the 3tc back in the day, I tried a crower despite being warned by 2 '3tc gurus', who simply told me, "get the Isky, come back and thank me later"
The crower was a waste of money (yawwwwnnn). Didn't realize how weak it was until I replaced it with the recommended Isky. WOW! - night and day. Took a while to accept it was the same motor, no other changes (dual sidedrafts, header, etc.).
Hit ~3750 and get pushed back into the seat. Motor drone turned into a 'snarl' and the tach needle started dancin'.
I hope I can find a turbo cam that work as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats a Isky??? And from what I was looking at they seemed pretty comparible lift and duration with a stock valve train?

·
Registered
103 Posts
http://www.iskycams.com/ Iskenderian cams
No single component had such a dramtic impact on the power output of my 3tc as that cam. It made me a believer that the "right" cam will really perform... also taught me that you could waste money on the 'wrong' cam thats not properly designed or ground.

Although I don't like HKS, you consistanly see testimonials of their performance cam quality results, they work. DSM forums have tons of crower and web cams threads, with none measuring up to the time tested hks standard.
I'd think that you shouldn't have to cross the ocean for a top quality cam for an import, but the u.s. cam grinders don't seem to be in a hurry to plug the void... maybe relatively small market/ no interest.

One thing I've notice is that a select few have chosen to run more duration on the INLET cam with respect to the exhaust cam duration. This is exactly how old school american cam griders did it. Some ca18det guys only run a 260? or so intake cam and leave the stock exhaust. I'm wondering if this is the key to broad midrange torque, more suitable to a full weight street car. Often you see GenX run the opposite, ie. more duration on the exhaust cam. Their dynos are more lop-sided with higher peak hp relative to torque. Ideally, I'd like a 300whp/300wtq 4agte, instead of say a 308hp/263ft-lb
The moer impressive performing street cars I've noticed have higher torque figures, not necessarily peak hp number.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't even know if Isky makes cams for the 4ag. Hit 'em up.
Often you won't see low volume items on a website because they usually are 'made to order' when a party approaches a *trusted reputable* manufacturer to cater to their needs.
I never saw a 3tc cam listed in my isky or crower catalog either.

I see starion guys installing cams with weak results. One of the faster 'forum guys' actually -slowed down- his 12sec 2.6 and made -less' power after he put in a popular cam, sold by a board member. He posted his results and got blasted for it. If a guy can't do a simple task of before/after dyno and track results of cams he's tryin' to sell.... he won't get a dollar from me.

One of the most impressive reviews I've read in sport compact car was of Steve M's 1st gen 300zx "old dog"... the author had been in lotsa fast supras, skylines, etc. and nothing had acceleration that frightened him like this old 2valve z31... spinning an isky cam.

The point I'm making is to make sure you have some solid testimony on the exact item before you plunk down the cash. Asking lots of questions will get you there.
Sure you you can keep it simple and go with hks IF you wanted........

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thats the problem there isnt alot of testimony on turbo cams for the 4agte most are NA and its hard to find what is working for people. But I think im the only one looking at the crowers becouse no one ever says anything about them. I have looked at HKS $300+ a cam, Toda $300+ a cam, Ted $300+ a cam, I havent been able to find a dealer for TRD cams yet. But the Crowers I can get for about $360 shipped so that was the appealing part for now. If I had a upgraded valve train I would go all out but thanks I will email Isky for more info.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I paid 250 a piece for my HKS cams and they were nice enough to give me a hugh discount on the cam gears since I bought two cams. FWIW, I don't know why you would only buy one but hey I'm not complaining. I don't know what your running but of all the mods I have done I'd say cams have to be the number three item as a MUST have for Hp gains(number1 being a bigger pulley followed by a gruntbox as number 2 for an SC anyway). Nothing else I have added added that much power as those three. I already posted my dyno sheets somewere else in this forum but if you missed it I gained almost 20 RWHP at redline over the stockers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I dont want just one cam I was just saying that was the price per cam. Im running a turbo now and a haltech so i wanted the cams in there before it was all done so I dont have to worry about it later. Did you get your cams for $250 from cyberauto??
I cant belive I forgot to go there and look.

·
Registered
284 Posts
send me an email. we have a local cam grinder (www.coltcams.com) who uses new billets, and so far excellent results. [email protected]

some info can be found on these 4ag cams at www.pdm-racing.com , who sell the milder stage 2 cams. they are apparently good for 20+ whp (with dyno sheets to prove it) on an NA motor already with i/h/e. another supplier sells the more aggresive stage 3-5 cams ground by the same guys, and you can mix/match intake and exhaust cams to your liking. timing also ground into the cams. only problem is they are kind of pricey... introductory pricing for the stage 3-5 cams were $725cdn for a pair, including shipping. no idea what it is now.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
No I got them from toysport. I personally didn't have a problem with them BUT others that I know from the mailing list for years have had trouble with them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've bought cams for 2 different cars from colt cams and had very good results. However those 4ag dyno graphs are pretty sketchy. There is no tvis dip at 4400rpm's? And 90whp on a 4ag with i/h/e? What happens with the aftermarket cams below 4000rpm's, it's not even on there. 24whp by just switching to some relatively mild aftermarket cams is pretty hard to believe, I think there might be some other factors going on there.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
My 2 cents about cams is to go with companies that have good R&D like Hks, Toda. I had web cams and never got good results, come to find out that they have been off with some of thier measurements and with cams you must be right on. Hks and Toda are proven for the 4ag engine as when I go for cams again these will be the only companies I will trust with cams.

Mr2swift
Ron

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
othick said:
I've bought cams for 2 different cars from colt cams and had very good results. However those 4ag dyno graphs are pretty sketchy. There is no tvis dip at 4400rpm's? And 90whp on a 4ag with i/h/e? What happens with the aftermarket cams below 4000rpm's, it's not even on there. 24whp by just switching to some relatively mild aftermarket cams is pretty hard to believe, I think there might be some other factors going on there.
And that's another thing NEVER trust manufactures dynos. I don't even look at them. If it's not proven by someone that doesn't work for the company you can bet it's exagerated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a cam guide anywhere that compares all cams for the 4ag engines?? Such as Toda, HKS, Colt, Crower, PDM, TRD, and all the rest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts