MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just wanting to see if you guys can give me the motivation I need to finish this project. I started on the car a few years ago and it seems the only "major" item I'm needing is to upgrade the turbo. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that the money spent will be worth the end result, this is where I need your help. Can you tell me your experience and your opinion?

I may have posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry if I have, please move if needed.

The car currently has these mods:

2nd Gen 3SGTE
550 Injectors
Aeromotive FPR
Walbro 255 Pump
CT20B
Stock Downpipe
Apex-i Exhaust
K&N Style Intake
HKS Intercooler
Mines ECU Tuned for TDO6
Stock USDM Head and Cams
Wiseco Pistons .40 Over
Balanced Crank
Eagle Forged I-Beam Rods
ARP Head Bolts/Rod Bolts
TTE 1.4 MM Head Gasket

I've been wanting to go TDO6 for a while but I just want to know that the power difference is worth the money. I plan on selling my CT20 to offset the cost. Also, what TD06 kit do you recommend (SH, 20 G???)

Thanks in advance for your advice and may god bless.

bill

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
For sure thats going to be a nice ride, no doubt. If not, some 264/264 cams could really bump you to up your goal. Im not exactly sure, just curious though. What octane and boost levels will you be running as well. This wil be a factor in your hp/ torque levels.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
the tuning is where it'll really decide between a 300whp ct20b and sub 300whp. and most (but not all) 20b's that hit 300 were from genIII's.

a standard tdo6 kit already comes with a 20g compressor...? so i don't know what you're asking. greddy sells a tdo6sh and tdo6l2 (which is extremely rare to find) and ats sells a tdo5, o6, and o7 kit. aside from the o5 and o7, the tdo6 turbos themselves will all perform equally well from a performance standpoint. ATS has it watercooled though. the difference btween all these kits is the parts that come with where ats has them all beat hands down.

if you're shooting for 300whp it's not the "power difference" you should be looking at. The difference between a 300whp 20b vs. a 300whp tdo6 is one will be pushed to is absolute limits with EMS and race gas while the other can be done with a rom tune and pump gas. but for 300whp, it's MUCH easier to do it on a tdo6 (which is why i bought my turbo just in case 270whp isn't enough for me)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys,
currently the car runs well at 20 psi on the ct20, but I dont believe i'm near 300hp, maybe 280 or so at the crank I guess, although i've never put the car on the dyno with this set up. I do know mustangs dont stand a chance though. Anyway, I'm just trying to reach higher numbers without having to run so much boost on this turbo. I guess I just need to spend the cash and get the TD06, then, maybe later some cams.
I do like the idea that it's much easier on the TD06 to hit the numbers. Guess that's what I need to do .
Thanks guys,

bill

·
Registered
249 Posts
A bigger downpipe, and aftermarket intake/exhaust manifolds will help to free up horse power. If you changed those 3 I'm pretty sure you'de make up that 20 hp and then some.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Look on the dyno registry. It took a ton of mods for Bryan to get the ct20b over 300 rwhp, but it can be done.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
You have almost my identical setup except I have a KO DP, JE .20 over stock rods.. and Blitz ECU.
I'm planning oh hitting the dyno this weekend so I'll let you know but based on my 1/4 mile stats I might be pushing close to 300whp at 20-21lbs (13.0 with 109 trap)

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Hi Bill,
Did we speak on the phone Friday? Someone called me that had similar mods to what you have listed, as well as a pile of other parts they might or might not install.

You are very unlikely to hit 300RWHP with the 20b on a Gen 2. Few have managed it, and even then, only on race gas, with cams.

The ATS TD06 kit will do 300RWHP with ease, on the setup you have listed. It has an external wastegate, which prevents the boost creep associated with the Greddy kit, and a 2.5" into 3" TIG welded stainless steel down pipe. (The Greddy has MIG welded, painted, 2.75" mild steel). Depending on how well that MINES ecu is tuned, you should be able to safely make up to 320 RWHP on pump gas.

Best regards,

Ken

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, looks like i know what I need to do, I guess I'll go with the ATS kit here in the very near future. I'll put the CT20 for sale as soon as I have it pulled off. Also, anyone know about how long it takes to swap turbos? Thanks guys for all the help. Ya'll take care

Bill

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how long its been since these bolts have been touched. I did my ct26 swap on my buddy's car for him in 7 hours. didn't have too many problems, no stripped bolts from the exhaust mani. and it was the first time i did it. i plan to change the turbo on mine in a couple months and it's been taken out a lil over 6 months ago, so i'm expecting it to be a 6 hr job or less if i don't strip anything.

·
TD06 HP record holder
3,636 Posts
Guardian said:
well, looks like i know what I need to do, I guess I'll go with the ATS kit here in the very near future. I'll put the CT20 for sale as soon as I have it pulled off. Also, anyone know about how long it takes to swap turbos? Thanks guys for all the help. Ya'll take care

Bill
Removing the the CT20b is the hard part. Putting the TD06 on is a piece of cake. I love my TD06. If you've never pulled a stock turbo make sure you clear your day giving you enough time to do it correctly. ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, the install info is helpful. I'll allow myself the weekend so I dont get in a hurry. The head was pulled last year so the ex. mani bolts shouldn't be to hard to get off. Anytips on the removal/install are greatly appreciated.

ya'll take care,

bill

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
since you have a stock downpipe on the 20b. don't remove the downpipe assembly off the turbo. If anything, just take off the cat and leave the elbow attached. This will get rid of the need to move the oil cooler to get to some of the bolts anyways.

So i plan to do is, take off the manifold, turbo, and eblow as one piece. it's much easier to get it that out that way instead of trying to get to the bolts that attach the turbo to mani.

on a side note: Does anyone know if the cat+elbow+turbo+manifold has enough clearance to be removed all as one piece. i know it can be done wit hthe cat off, but what about with it attached. i only asked because my last shop rounded off one of the nuts holding the cat on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
should I need to worry about my exhaust matching up? I have an Apex-i Exhaust system that came with the J-spec clip. It's not an n-1, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. It exits the driver side straight, not at an angle. Any ideas?

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
maybe its the apexi gt-spec, eh, i dono

oh well, the exhaust will match up with the new downpipe that ats kit provides. The the tdo6 kits are all bolt on. meaning all you're doing is changing the necessary fuel lines. adapter on manifold, then turbo on adapter, and downpipe on turbo, then exhaust to downpipe. it's fairly straight forward, the only thing you *might* need to do is look up the wiring/hose plumbing for the external gate to whatever boost controller you have. There has been some threads directly relating to this topic so you can search for those. Also i just looked over mods and noticed you already had a mines thats been tuned for a tdo6, so depending on how well it was tuned, you *might* not need the ats romtune, but strap it on a dyno and see the results, if you're not quite satisfied then get the romtune. (haha, if you decide to do the later, send me a PM as i might be interestd in the mines :D)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks boz for the insight. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (i dont trust others to work on my car around here) so I dont think It will be to bad. It's just finding the time between work and classes (working on my masters). Thanks again for all the info and anything else anyone thinks of is greatly appreciated. Boz, i'll let you know if i ever decide to part with the Mines ecu. It's great, no rev, no speed cut, slightly agressive timing which seems to be an issue with the CT20. take care,

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts