MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any thoughts if excessive oil pressure could result in copious amounts of oil consumption?

No external leaks. Using 1 quart every 250 miles. Warm oil pressure at the cylinder head is 38psi while idling and max of 88psi while revving.

·
6,218 Posts
Maybe if it's being pushed past the turbo oil seals, have you taken a look in the intercooler pipes and intake? How does you PCV/catch can look? Can you do a cylinder leak down test?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leak down test gave very similar compression numbers for all cylinders. The turbo inlet and outlet are both oil free.

Suspecting high oil pressure as the cause of my oil consumption is my last hail Mary. Ever since I bought the motor it has consumed oil. Last year I removed the cylinder head and took to the engine builder. Replaced intake valves (valve stem to guide clearance was out of spec), milled, installed new valve stem seals. Put 2,000 miles on it this summer. Still consuming oil. Has to be the rings??

·
Registered
577 Posts
There’s no high pressure next to seals outside of around the oil pump and galleys between items. So higher pressure wouldn’t increase consumption in the usual spots like valve seals, piston oil rings, turbo seals (which are after a restrictive, should be fine).

·
2,339 Posts
On another note, Toyota engines of that era can get oil and dirt in the oil scraper rings on the pistons making these ineffective for stopping oil getting into the cylinders. But then also the main rings can just wear and the bores become worn so oil can go there.

I have a 236,000km GEN3 3SGE that would use 1 litre per 300km. I replaced the valve seals and it did nothing. I pulled the engine out and replaced it with one that had almost twice the mileage. Tearing down the motor, I was expecting the oil control rings to be full of dirt but they were clean, must have just been worn rings and bores.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everybody for your thoughtful contributions. I’m getting smoke out of the exhaust. I’m not going to mess with dropping the oil pan to replace the oil pressure relief spring with the factory spring, since that is not the issue. It’s time for a hone or bore and new rings. See you all next spring 🏎

·
Registered
577 Posts
I’d pull the exhaust manifold. If it’s dry by the head ports, and the Downpipe is wet then it’s definitely your turbo.

This is getting super common as most CT2x turbos are 25-30 years old by now, so they’re just tired and worn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts