MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced 2 faulty gauges already, and I think i've finally got a gauge that isn't faulty. I was flooring it in 3rd gear, from about 20mph-55mph, and it stayed at 5lbs of boost max. Is this normal? Can it run at 5lbs of boost? The pervious owner installed a EBC, and it doesn't really work by the looks of it, but sometimes i see numbers that say, -4.89, or -5.02. could that be what the boost is set at? Also I'am about to install the MBC from Two'srus. Do I have to take apart the old EBC before I install it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes, it could only make ~5 psi. Mine was making 6 psi when I bought it from the PO. It's probably related to the fouled up boost controller installation. It could also be the Toyota TVSV that switches the car from low boost (7psi if it was brand new or in tip-top shape) to high boost (up to ~12 psi, same conditions). It has to be above freezing outside and the motor has to be warmed up for the ECU to use the high boost mode.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My car used to run 5-6 psi when it was below 40 degrees a few years ago because it was the "safe" mode. Remove the TVSV and install a ball-spring boost controller.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's a HKS something, it's old school.

I don't think there is a boost leak because the car runs pretty quick, but I could be real wrong about this too.

How do I check for the codeS?

When I remove the EBC, There's one hose I dunno where it goes back to.

The ones circled in red connect to each other, after I remove it from the EBC, where would the red hose plug into?

For the hose highlighted in green in this picture, is this the one that will be plugged up and not used when using the MBC?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
5psi is the boost level you will make if the EBC is not working properly.
That is just the spring rate of the wastegate...

If I turn off my Greddy PFB it will make 5 psi.

I would guess faulty EBC.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
when you get your MBC, forget about how the hoses are hooked up now and re-route them per the MBC installation instructions. and cap off any openings on the block.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
7 psi is the WG spring pressure; I suspect people getting 5psi is really because of either a bad connection to the boost reader (EBC/gauge/etc) or a weakening WG spring.
My car reads 6 psi with the MBC turned "off", but I attribute that to the gauge being off 1 psi (it reads a little low all the time).

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
wastegate flapper not attached to the rod (or rod bent)....flapper could be wide open. I saw same boost with that set up. But, seems like this mysterious boost controller could be it.

put your boost control back to stock and report.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just finished installing the MBC, when i turn up the boost, I was so happy to see it go over 5, but then i kept turning it, it never went over 7psi! I almost turned the knob all the way and it was still at 7psi! I was going 60mph in 3rd! =X I don't know what the problem could be now=\ So I turned the knob back the other way, and it's still reading 7psi

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You should have no problem hitting 14+ psi in 3rd gear. Did you disable the TVSV? Double check you installation, and make sure you're turning the knob the correct direction (lame, I know).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts