MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if ne one has made 300whp on the jdmct26 turbo i juss got a 2nd gen motor and it has a blitz ecu and im goin to tune it on s-afc2 im trying to make 300 on 93 octane thanks..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,915 Posts
Not on a factory CT26 and even a modified one it would require race gas and high boost levels like 20PSI.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i was wondering if ne one has made 300whp on the jdmct26 turbo i juss got a 2nd gen motor and it has a blitz ecu and im goin to tune it on s-afc2 im trying to make 300 on 93 octane thanks..
ouch, 93 octane = Ping City...

Min octane count for JDM models is 98, they have been run on less but you want as much octane in that fuel to avoid detonation, if your going for bigger HP your car would demand more octane than a 93 count.

never run my stock (zorst + pod) JDM sw20 on anything less than 98.

could be a good idea to get your hands on some octane boost, your engine wont take too much detonation before it decides to retire.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
Two things. One, the SAFC is not the best idea for adjusting fuel on an mr2. Do a nice search for SAFC and read about the fact that it is only good for small changes, due to the effect that tuning fuel with SAFC has on timing.
Second thing. Japanese fuel is not 98 octane by US ratings. Best figures put 97-98 JDM octane at 93-94 USDM octane. So you are "safe" running 93 octane rated by US standards in a JDM motor.
For more info look here
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=5387
Good luck with your motor and BTW, stock ct26 can flow 300lbft of torque if you disconnect the wg line, but will struggle to flow enough air to make much more than 250rwhp. The compressor wheel is a bit small for this but the exhaust housing is much too limiting and the stock wg starts to leak off boost pretty badly at the higher boost levels needed to generate over 250 rwhp. CT27 will do. CT20 will also get you there, just, but probably no hope for the ct26 as delivered.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
When talking about octane you should remember that in Japan (and Europe), the "octane rating" of a particular gas is the RON measurement. The USA uses the average of the RON and MON measurement (hence the "93 octane using (R+M)/2 method" label on the pump) and since the MON value is always lower than the RON value, the "octane rating" displayed on a pump in the USA will be lower than that in Japan for the same fuel.

Without knowing the MON value for a given fuel in Japan you obviously cannot calculate the USA "octane rating", but I have heard others guesstimate that the 97 octane fuel in Japan is approximately equivalent to 93 octane fuel in the USA.
thats what i needed to read, cheers for the link. sorry guys, im in AUS we have completely different ratings :)

JDM speed limiter cuts in at 180km/h.
i know its off topic but the other thread is locked, can anyone confirm this for me? i remember struggling to find fuel cut even though i was well past 180kmh, doing multiple 200kmh runs i never found fuel cut. sorry to hi-jack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
I think its possible to get 300hp out of a ct26, someone did I just rea do nthe board. race gas, and the turbo wont last long. And you probably would need ALOT of engine work to do so...IE sstroker maybe? high compression and full BPU, weld the wastegates shut and have at it. But i would say 93 octane wouldnt do it.I tihnk youde end up spending alot more money trying to get that out ur ct26, then if you were buy a ats combo kit :)
 

·
Turtle Racer
Joined
·
16,058 Posts
KoreanJoey said:
^^^exactly^^^
no not exactly, there are different versions of the ct26 out there supra single, sw20/celica duals etc. One particular person (board name doesn't come to mind...unfortunately) has a hybrid ct26. started with stock mr2 ct26, then fitted the supra exhaust side on it to get it some serious flow help. that turbo was never dynoed, but it pulled consistent 12s (like 12.8 i bleieve at 110mph?) the mph suggest he was putting out at least 270-280whp if not around 300.

modified ct26s (by modified i mean the compressor changed, clpped the wheel, or whatever) i've seen as most as 250whp.

a ct27 can, however it is TECHNICALLY a modified ct26, there's been so much work done to them that they shouldn't be compared to the ct26 and it's in another category entirely. now this, hwoever, WILL put out 300+whp with bolt ons, romtune and race gas.
 

·
Turtle Racer
Joined
·
16,058 Posts
sleeperneon676 said:
I think its possible to get 300hp out of a ct26, someone did I just rea do nthe board. race gas, and the turbo wont last long. And you probably would need ALOT of engine work to do so...IE sstroker maybe? high compression and full BPU, weld the wastegates shut and have at it. But i would say 93 octane wouldnt do it.I tihnk youde end up spending alot more money trying to get that out ur ct26, then if you were buy a ats combo kit :)
stroker has "potential" to make more power, but many times don't. a stroker will cause decrease lag, so full boost is seen much earlier, but it falls off on top earlier as well. increasing the VE of the engine with the stroker, etc etc, the engine would be overbuilt for the turbo application. increasing VE is great so long as the turbo is capable of utilizing it to make that kind of power and have a nice flat power band near redline.

but i agree with you about the cost tho. 1400 ats ct27 pacakge and your done. or more with a tdo5/o6 package that would be capable of doing it on pump gas. plus the larger turbos would make that power level MUCH easier than the ct26 ever could
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Boz said:
no not exactly, there are different versions of the ct26 out there supra single, sw20/celica duals etc. One particular person (board name doesn't come to mind...unfortunately) has a hybrid ct26. started with stock mr2 ct26, then fitted the supra exhaust side on it to get it some serious flow help. that turbo was never dynoed, but it pulled consistent 12s (like 12.8 i bleieve at 110mph?) the mph suggest he was putting out at least 270-280whp if not around 300.

modified ct26s (by modified i mean the compressor changed, clpped the wheel, or whatever) i've seen as most as 250whp.

a ct27 can, however it is TECHNICALLY a modified ct26, there's been so much work done to them that they shouldn't be compared to the ct26 and it's in another category entirely. now this, hwoever, WILL put out 300+whp with bolt ons, romtune and race gas.
Why swap out the compressors why not just go for a CT27 just like you said. It still isn't a CT26 that came with the motor. It's like saying a T4 is the same as a T3. It's not.
 

·
Turtle Racer
Joined
·
16,058 Posts
KoreanJoey said:
Why swap out the compressors why not just go for a CT27 just like you said. It still isn't a CT26 that came with the motor. It's like saying a T4 is the same as a T3. It's not.
if you read my post over, not once in my post did i suggest that this hybrid is greater than all, in fact i even stated

Boz said:
1400 ats ct27 pacakge and your done. or more with a tdo5/o6 package that would be capable of doing it on pump gas. plus the larger turbos would make that power level MUCH easier than the ct26 ever could
(however with a lilttle knowhow, it oculd be worthwhile if he didn't wanna fork over the money for a new turbo altogher). I was not stating that he go out and do it right away, i was giving him other options.

it's not just swapping the compressor, he swapped the entire exhaust housing. i don't know where you got the idea that when i reffered to the supra ct26, i was talking about merely changing compressor wheels :dontknow:

a T3 is not a T4, but a Ct26 is a Ct26. and the hybrid would be half of what he already has. and there are slightly different variants to each ct26, but overall, they have similar characteristics, it's not like toyota just stamped "ct26" on random turbos because they felt like it, they gave them the same designation for a reason. just like a gt28 can be external or internal gated, ball bearing and non ball bearing, both turbos are similar, they're just two variants of the same, get what i'm trying to get across, it's late, i gotta get up in 4 hours to get to my first class in the morn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I understand but I believe you shouldn't point him in a way that would be more work and more frustration for less gain. I mean could I make my car into a GT-Four? yes... would it be more cheaper and wiser to just buy a GT-Four... yes.
 

·
Turtle Racer
Joined
·
16,058 Posts
i wasn't, i pointed him towards ats, but maybe i didn't get that part across well enough. I wouldn't have pointed it out if it was merely speculaton, but it is something that has been done, has been track tested and proven to work. I also wouldn't have posted it if there wasn't a resource he could go to for it to be done.

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=156675&highlight=ct26+hybrid

that's the guy that did it, he works, or has worked at CRW (?) and could probably make it again if he had time and someone was interested in getting it. If not, he posted a thread on everything that he did to make it work, which wasn't too bad.

more work/frustration would be dependant upon the OP, we don't know what his background could be, at least this way, he can decide for himself what he wants to do.

cheaper/wiser to just get something bolt on, depends on what you buy and what you're looking for. bolt-ons/kits are merely there so you know that you wont have to modify anything to get it to work, everything's there and ready to go. Where would we be at if people didn't try new and interesting ideas? he could very well be one of those people that wants to try something different, so again, thats why i mentioned it, it's just more options, that's what makes modifying cars so great, there's endless possibilities out there.

i see your point, but i also have my own opinions as well. we just differ slightly. oh well, i'm tired, time to sleep.

PS. to the OP, you need a new turbo, injectors, tuning to get to 300whp on pump gas. i suggest you take your time, read the board, and work your way up to 270whp on pump gas. that's plenty fast for most people, see if you like it the way it is. it'd be slightly more than 1:10 power to weight ratio, but still quick and more than enough to run 12s. see my sig. thne if you want more, save up and go for it, just do it right. theSafc is not the right tool to tune btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
Boz said:
stroker has "potential" to make more power, but many times don't. a stroker will cause decrease lag, so full boost is seen much earlier, but it falls off on top earlier as well. increasing the VE of the engine with the stroker, etc etc, the engine would be overbuilt for the turbo application. increasing VE is great so long as the turbo is capable of utilizing it to make that kind of power and have a nice flat power band near redline.

but i agree with you about the cost tho. 1400 ats ct27 pacakge and your done. or more with a tdo5/o6 package that would be capable of doing it on pump gas. plus the larger turbos would make that power level MUCH easier than the ct26 ever could
If you wanna make 300 hp on a car with a turbo that really shouldnt be pushed that far, you need to do everything to do the engine, like your building an NA. Stroker would help your peak torque which is what matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
If you wanted to get to 300 rwhp on a stock ct26 I would concentrate not on a stroker, but on the VE. Improve rod ratio, larger valves, higher lift and more duration cams, Straight runner intake manifold, large tmic, extrude hone the exhaust manifold. Perhaps port match the head and bump compression slightly. Then weld the wastegate shut and run a very rich tune with little timing gradually backing it down to find optimum AFR and timing without exploding. This would also require forged pistons etc.
It is probably not impossible just very unreasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
sleeperneon676 said:
If you wanna make 300 hp on a car with a turbo that really shouldnt be pushed that far, you need to do everything to do the engine, like your building an NA. Stroker would help your peak torque which is what matters.
Peak torque doesn't mean high power.
Making horsepower is about flow. A stroker with a stock head (stock cams/etc) won't make any more power than a stock motor. It'll just make the same power earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
MR2000GTE said:
Peak torque doesn't mean high power.
Making horsepower is about flow. A stroker with a stock head (stock cams/etc) won't make any more power than a stock motor. It'll just make the same power earlier.
"Same power" may be overstating it a little bit. you won't get nearly the results you hope for by increasing the displacement unless you can flow enough air to use it. You will flow marginally more, b/c now the pump is bigger, but will not be efficient, b/c the restriction remains. The stock head is a restriction on the stock bottom end. Enlarging the bottom, will only aggravate that problem.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top