MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need some opinion on my next upgrade,i was initially going to buy a pair of cams and pulleys but after asking this question on the U.K imoc board it was suggested that i'd be better off upgrading my current ECU to a standalone unit.I've read about some of you guys running similar upgrades to myself but with the addition of cams.My curret spec:
Rev3
GT2540R
Bootmounted intercooler
Greddy E-manage
Fuel regulator
Intake&exhaust
I've had few comments suggesting the E-manage basically isn't up to the job and that i'd gain more buy changing ECU's.I've no intention of changing the turbo again so my goals are between 300-350whp.
Thanks Mark. :)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I have a Gen3 motor and just recently dynoed 335rwhp and 314ft.lbs. It was obvious that at those power levels, my cams weren't up to the task of keeping the torque alive above 300ft.lbs. for very long. I would recommend both but the cams are a must for 350rwhp IMO.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I look at it this way, buy the cames first, then when you buy a standalone you only need to dyno it once, if you get cams afterwards youll have to redyno with them costing you more time on the dyno.

I shouldnt say that coz im buying a standalone before cams lol but i need it first for other reasons

Graeme

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Well from everyone I know whos added cams and degreed them properly they see massive improvments no matter what ecu they are running!

Graeme

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys,i think i'll go cams and see how she performs then maybe a ECU at a later date.
Mark.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'am going to go with 264in264ex and normal lift i don't think i'd really benifit from using high lift at my power levels.It has been mentioned about using staggered cams but a 264,256 combo,should i bother?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
MarkP. said:
I'am going to go with 264in264ex and normal lift i don't think i'd really benifit from using high lift at my power levels.It has been mentioned about using staggered cams but a 264,256 combo,should i bother?
well -- the gen3 cams are staggered from the factory -- so it would be safe to assume that a staggered set up would be wise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts